Recalculating Route Ruins Waze

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Recalculating Route Ruins Waze

Postby RallyChris » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:56 pm

jaimevisser wrote:Damn, opened a topic on this yesterday! People need to use search more!!

Note that the built in search on the forum is useless. The common word filter is on, and it's basically removed all the words anyone would search on. So unless people use the google search workaround
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Sear ... mmon_words they will have a hard time finding previous conversations.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:02 pm

RallyChris wrote:Note that the built in search on the forum is useless. The common word filter is on, and it's basically removed all the words anyone would search on.
True! Searched on a username in combination with 'login' 'button' and those where too common. :roll:
BrutusNL

Postby northernpenguin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:55 pm

RallyChris wrote:
northernpenguin wrote:My only issue is that the recalculating action causes the app to miss cupcakes and / or road munching when I run on the iPhone.

The road may not appear munched, but the actual points from doing so are done when the server analyzes your route in post processing. If the GPS is not so far off, that post processing can't figure out what road you were on, you got the points.

The cupcakes issue, maybe so, but it has also been found that gps inaccuracy can cause missing cupcakes, even when the snap to function of the phone put's you over one.

My experience so far has been *every* time I turn to get a cupcake (or pumpkin/ghost) that's a block or two over from my current route, the recalc causes me to miss the goodie, 100% of the time. If I turn of the routing and go around the block again, I get the credit for the goodie.

Note this is taking place in rural areas, where the nearest road running parallel is a good 2 kilometers away.

My interim solution has been simply to not use Waze for automatic routing.
GPS is normally quite reliable for me ( within 5-10 metres) when geocaching - and I dashboard mount it so I'm quite certain it's not an accuracy issue. iPhone 4.
Area Manager - Halton/Peel, Ontario, Canada
iPhone 4, BlackBerry Bold 9700
Toronto Area Geocacher, Ontario Trail Mapper
northernpenguin

Postby yorch_ve » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:26 pm

Ayindi wrote:Just want to add that recalculating puts a big fat black sign above the map that it recalculates... (at least on Android) Great feature to block my view to the map when I actually need to find my direction manually... :D

im agree hehe :lol: and also how can i do to really "cancel" the navigation, when im using the navigation feature and if try to “stop it” I cant it just kepp telling me where to go! Hehe

BTW will be nice to just select a place on the map (touching the screen on my moto-droid) and say: take me here. Cuse right now if you don’t find the place your going on “address” or if you don’t have it on “favorites” you cant use the navigate to take you there even if you know the place of it on the map
yorch_ve

Postby unwallflower » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:39 pm

im agree hehe and also how can i do to really "cancel" the navigation, when im using the navigation feature and if try to “stop it” I cant it just kepp telling me where to go! Hehe

Press the yellow/green bar at the very bottom of the screen while navigating. Then select "stop navigation". Voila... stopped.

BTW will be nice to just select a place on the map (touching the screen on my moto-droid) and say: take me here. Cuse right now if you don’t find the place your going on “address” or if you don’t have it on “favorites” you cant use the navigate to take you there even if you know the place of it on the map

Yes, you can. This is already a feature. Long press ON the street (it's very sensitive... you have to press ON the street exactly) that you want to navigate to, and then click "set as destination".
unwallflower

Postby yorch_ve » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:55 pm

unwallflower wrote:
im agree hehe and also how can i do to really "cancel" the navigation, when im using the navigation feature and if try to “stop it” I cant it just kepp telling me where to go! Hehe

Press the yellow/green bar at the very bottom of the screen while navigating. Then select "stop navigation". Voila... stopped.

Yes, you can. This is already a feature. Long press ON the street (it's very sensitive... you have to press ON the street exactly) that you want to navigate to, and then click "set as destination".

thx bro! ill try both cuse im pretty sure that i tried to stop the navigation like u said, but then my cel ran out of signal and when i got it again it starts the navigation by itself again =P

and for the navigation destination, i will have tu zoom +10x in first to see if it works ;-)
yorch_ve

Postby fdbryant3 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:39 am

So, I started using Waze again the past couple of days and I see my problem still hasn't been addressed. I have though open a report on UserVoice here: http://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-client-how-can-we-improve-waze-on-your-phone-/suggestions/1343005-system-constantly-reroutes-then-the-server-times-o.

I really want to use Waze on a regular basis, I want to be able to recommend Waze but I can't if the route disappears. By the way I'm not talking about being somehow covered, or somehow not getting points.......I mean the line and all UI telling and showing me where to go disappears. It is as if I hadn't set a route. This makes it unusable.
fdbryant3

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 am

What I have seen many times is that until it is able to actually figure out a route based on my location, or it is able to contact the server to compute the route, it cannot show anything. Waze is an online nav system. it doesn't keep the a full world or US map saved to do local route calculations. It requires the server.

If there is a problem with intersections and roads in your area, then just driving with Waze running will auto adjust road location, direction and intersection turns allowed. When you notice problems, please open a map problem request and an Area Manager can address it. When I started with Waze, I got crazy and odd routes. After driving with it running for 2-3 weeks, it had updated the roadways and began to give good results.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fdbryant3 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Waze is an online nav system. it doesn't keep the a full world or US map saved to do local route calculations. It requires the server.

I get that it needs to be able to connect online in order to calculate a route. My problem is it has calculated and displayed a route (with maps and everything, heck it often displays the map without network connectivity). Then for whatever reason the system decides it needs to recalculate the route, for whatever reason that this point the server times out. That is when the route disappears at least till it recalculates again.

What Waze should do is once the Waze client receives a route it should be cache. That way when it recalculates if it is unable to receive a new route it can continue to display and work off the cache route.
fdbryant3

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:14 pm

fdbryant3 wrote:Then for whatever reason the system decides it needs to recalculate the route, for whatever reason that this point the server times out. That is when the route disappears at least till it recalculates again.

What Waze should do is once the Waze client receives a route it should be cache. That way when it recalculates if it is unable to receive a new route it can continue to display and work off the cache route.

I have seen this happen several times, too. Now I understand more of what you mean. I haven't been able to determine why it does this, but it could be poor GPS reception or a poor GPS device and Waze thinks I'm now on a different road close by, so it thinks it needs to recalc. That's a valid reason to recalc.

Now, how Waze handles the recalc is another good topic. It can't recalc just a middle portion of the route, which is frustrating, and once it decides it should recalc, the old route is wiped and you're screwed. You area correct about this and it would be nice to see this changed.

You should put up a uservoice suggestion to get some votes and get it in front of the developers.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General