Windows Phone 7

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Windows Phone 7

Postby RonV42 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:35 pm

I am also going to be looking for a Windows 7 phone version of Waze. My employer is dropping Android and Blackberry's as supported phones to connect to the corporate network. This is going to force me to buy the WM7 phone.
Android • Area Manager: Hoffman Estates, IL and surrounding areas of Northwest Suburbs of Chicago area
Motorola Backflip 2.1 (J_R0DD preclair 1.6)
RonV42
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby RallyChris » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm sure that this is just a man hours problem. That since this requires a rewrite, that they just don't have the staff to do so at this time. Unfortunately they appear to be a fairly small staff.

Blackberry had the same issue. It's a different architecture so it took a long time to get a version out.

My point was just to make sure that those that don't have programming background, understand that there is not an easy upgrade path moving application from windows mobile to windows phone 7.

Please feel free to try all means to show your platform solidarity, and hopefully the priority troll will turn your direction.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby RallyChris » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Please understand, that win phone 7 is a completely different platform, so this is not as simple as recompiling and deploy.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby psychomf5 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Please make this... Windows users are very dedicated.and if you use windows its probly cause your like me and just hate Android, windows is so much more fun... And I love wp7 even more than 6.5. I need my waze on it... Please windows is not going away and we will not get an iPhone either!
psychomf5

Windows Phone 7

Postby pprabbit69 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 am

Are there any chances to get a windows phone 7 app for waze in the near future?
Couldn't search the forum for that, sorry :roll: .
Greetings from Switzerland :D
pprabbit69

Postby pemko » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:43 am

please make a client...
pemko
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby nutzareus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 pm

This is unacceptable, to ignore a new platform Windows Phone which needs apps from developers! If the code is there for Windows Mobile 6.5 it should not take too much engineering to make it work for Windows Phone franchise reboot?
nutzareus

Postby mskurnik » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Well that is a shame. I just got the Dell Venue Pro from the Microsoft store and it is a great device. You should be able to use some of the code from the windows mobile 6.5 app but you will need to re-write most of it. Do you have an ETA on when this would be done...that is if you think it is a worthy platform?
mskurnik

Postby Mscatinboston » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:49 pm

:o OMG, I just switched to W7 with Verizon. I did not realize that I could not use Waze. :( What am I going to do without my Waze!
[color=#BF0000]Ms. Cathy
[b][i]iPhone 5 Blk 64GB
Lunatik Taktik Extreme Case
Mscatinboston

Postby monosodium » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:29 pm

To be honest if I had proper API's descriptions available I'd be happy to work on an open source effort to port or rewrite Waze for WP7. I've not looked at the WM6.5 source yet so I can't speak to the ease/difficulty of doing the job...

* Update : I've had a little look at the WM6.5 code (only very briefly) and I've not compiled it so far (I need to check on some dependencies in VS2010 which I probably don't have installed) but, Waze are right here - it's not trivial so they're not going to want to do it unless they can guarantee some serious traction. But if they were to do it then they may have to endure a significant shakeup and migrate the entire codebase to mono/.net to retain their ability to target iphone, android and symbian handsets from a single codebase.
m o n o s o d i u m
Former area manager North/East London plus Weymouth & Portland | HTC Radar | Windows Phone 7.8
monosodium

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General