Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة

Multi lane exit ramps

Post by timspilman
Hi folks,
With UAE's love of super-wide highways, it is not unusual to have a 6(+) lane road split into 2 roads, half continuing, and half leading to a junction. At what point does this require a 'keep left' command?

In this example, Heading South on Al Khamila St, at the Al Asayel Street junction, the map shows the main road continues straight, and a slip road exits right. In reality, the 6 lane road splits, with 3 lanes continuing on the overpass, and 3 lanes dropping down to the junction.
(This is half the road - not really a slip)

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... 961&zoom=6

For example, a user travelling South, through this junction in lane 2 will be given no instruction, but will have to realise what is happening, and move over to lane 4 in advance.

In my opinion, a 'keep left / right' instruction is required to avoid confusion. (Of course, at minor junctions where only 1 or 2 lanes exit (and sometimes one splits), no instruction would be necessary.

I'd be interested in hearing peoples' thoughts on this.
If I've duplicated another thread, or posted in the wrong place, I am sorry. I have searched, but I am new to the forums, so may have got it wrong.
timspilman
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16936768

Send a message

Post by Arnoniem
I agree with the example. And with the fact we have to think of some rule to be clear.
In Europe when lane shift is necessary then keep left is used. But Something like 4+ continuing doesn't require.

send from my SGS4, using Tapatalk
Arnoniem
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ BeNeLux Champs UAE Champs Android Beta Coordinator Middle East
CM:The Netherlands CM:U.A.E. CM:Oman CM:Thailand
https://u.cubeupload.com/Arnoniem/FsnBw8.jpg

Post by timspilman
Also, I don't know how to do this (and as a level 2, won't be able to without approval anyway)
I'll start adding errors (and then inevitably ask myself about them later) when I think it may be appropriate.

Very happy for other peoples' thoughts on when they are(nt) appropriate.
timspilman
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message