Split Lanes vs Two-Way Roads

Moderators: MapSir, Arnoniem, moosool, shogsbro

Split Lanes vs Two-Way Roads

Postby TheOtherNeo » Sun May 05, 2013 7:55 pm

I have been reading up on using split lanes versus single streets on the forums; it appears that using a two-way street is now the preferred way of creating roads. Split lanes should only be used for major highways and freeways. For us that would be the E-something (E-11, E-66, E-311 etc.) roads.

Two-way streets can be marked with a u-turn, and from the forums it seems that this functionality will be rolled out to the apps at a later stage in order to allow roads to receive updates first (U-turn Restrictions?). There are a quite a number of roads in Dubai marked as split-lanes which could benefit from being reduced to a two-way street with the proper turn restritions such as Jumeira Road.

Another note: for landmarks, it is suggested that the number of points should be kept to a minimum and not every detail needs to be drawn (Landmark Database Size Reduction).
TheOtherNeo

Re: Split Lanes vs Two-Way Roads

Postby Machete808 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Here's a link to the Wiki's best-practices area:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/?title=Best_ma ... _not_to.29

Scroll down a bit and read what it says about simplicity and then the split/unsplit question.

The basic idea is not to make the map displayed on the app look just like real life but to ensure that Waze routes correctly. Having too many lesser roads split complicates the settings -- more junctions at which turns will have to be correctly set -- which allows for more errors to sneak in.

So the general advisory is to separate a two-way road into two one-way segments only under certain conditions, especially if there's significant separation between the two streams of traffic. Hope this helps!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bitterlimon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi guys! Spitting or not splitting? I'm new on the block, yet have been looking into editing the map. I found many roads requiring special attention, some are falling into the "split" category. I don't understand what's the problem if done correctly not to split the road on the map? It's more informative to have the proper road arrangement, so when driving in an area, the map can give you better understanding of your whereabouts. Having single line while driving on split lanes creates confusion...

Anyhow many roads are split already. So, what exactly is the problem?
Bitterlimon

Postby Arnoniem » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:34 am

I have to agree with bazgrant as well.
I think the "problem of Dubai" is not caused initially by the split roads.
But as i also read in another post of nbezuidenhout, there are a lot of crazy segments, overlaying other seggments, sometime 3 or 4. Sometimes half overlap, and therefore it looks like one road, but there are 2 or 3 and not connected.
I didn;t run into that in Abu Dhabi, but I do in Dubai. And it's a nasty job to fix those.

The issue of unsplitting roads is that it's causing a lot of red arrows on the map, if you do it right. Because a lot of roads, are connected only on 1 side of the road, such as parallel parking roads, and local acces roads. It will be a hell of a job to set all these right. And if you have bad luck, and a level 1 editor finds the SHIFT-Z option, he'll set them all to green turns and ruins the map.

About the spaghetti crossings of 2-by-2 (primary) intersections: we should keep it simple, and functional, and not draw all the possible traffic motions. If it works with the right instructions, you just get a simple square, with u turns possible drawn outside it. Sometime the shortcut for taking a right (if its a big cut-off of the corner) and that should do it! :D
Arnoniem
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby TheOtherNeo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:27 pm

I drove Al Wasl Road and Jumeira road yesterday and today. Whilst these roads are drawn on the map editor as two split-lanes, you can't see it on the phone application that way. Since the lanes are so close they just merge into one with maybe the occasional tiny gap. With auto-zoom enabled, there is no visible distinction between split and un-split roadways.
bazgrant wrote:The roads are physically split carriageways so should reflect that on all maps.

I'm of the opinion that it is better to have a structure that works for its intended function than to try and replicate every tiny detail which doesn't seem to serve a purpose.
TheOtherNeo

Postby TheOtherNeo » Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 am

nomadica wrote:I did notice at 2 separate traffic signals, it was asking me to drive to the next junction, make a uturn and then take a right rather than just taking a left.

It seems that you too have found some roads with the same errors I referred to. Instead of going straight it would route right, and then a "turn left and then turn left" prompt to bring you to the other side of the intersection.

The same as you, I checked the turn restrictions at the intersection and everything is set correctly, but it will still route to the right.

That is why I feel that a simplified map is the way forward.
TheOtherNeo

Postby JN40 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:24 am

Hello Nomadica,

I had a look at the crossing you mentioned before where you added a road yesterday. There are still red arrows, caused by the small segment in this link: https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=55.17573&lat=25.09197&zoom=7&layers=BFTFFTTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=201701516

Best thing to do is remove that segment, connect the road to the junction and check the arrows (use S to split the arrows).

Thanks,
JN
JN40

Postby bazgrant » Mon May 27, 2013 6:13 am

Are you sure there weren't just red arrows in place where there shouldn't be? I have come across many many new road edits that people haven't set all the turns to green as they should be.

The reason I ask is because I use waze for turn-by-turn navigation all the time and I haven't found any of these issues. All of Abu Dhabi and surrounding areas are set to separate one-way roads and it routes me fine and there are no problem reports....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bazgrant
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby TheOtherNeo » Mon May 27, 2013 6:02 am

Since I changed it, it now works correctly.
nomadica wrote:I'm curious, regarding the route to work, since then I assume you changed it to two way roads correct?

Did that solve the issue or did it still send you 13 km extra?

I'll try out navigating my normal routes this week and see how it works out
TheOtherNeo

Postby bazgrant » Fri May 24, 2013 10:07 am

I have to say I am also not happy with the thought of un-splitting all these roads, I don't believe we will gain anything and it just doesn't look correct. The roads are physically split carriageways so should reflect that on all maps. All of the roads in Abu Dhabi are split where they should be and I don't face any of these problems. I try to mirror the satellite images and place slip roads where they are supposed to be. I check turn restrictions and imagine driving that route as I edit it.

Sorry, but I just don't agree in this case.
bazgrant
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Next

Return to United Arab Emirates [دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة]