دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة
Post by houstonmg
The better is simple one road two way. i make two road when thats are separate 15 meters aprox.
I work in your's contry map. drawing and connecting road.
Good edition.
houstonmg
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Mauricio Gálvez S.
Country Manager, Global Champ
Para iniciar tus ediciones lee este topic.

Post by JN40
Just to remind you before you make conclusions out of your test drives: The international server is last updated on May 16th. So changes in the WME after that won´t be effective until the next update.
You may check on status.waze.com

Cheers
JN40
Send a message

Post by JN40
It is a map problem that will happen a lot and not specifically an issue for split/unsplit roads. If you have a look at the 100m scale there is a significant distance between the crossing and the cutting corner road. I would suggest to draw that road to avoid the problem coming back.

In this case to me it´s not logical to have the Al Kail Street unsplit and to have roads running in the neighbourhood like the Racecourse Road, split. You may compare with google, it actually is a major crossing, so there is more work to do!
JN40
Send a message

Post by JN40
Hello Nomadica,

I had a look at the crossing you mentioned before where you added a road yesterday. There are still red arrows, caused by the small segment in this link: https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=55.1 ... =201701516

Best thing to do is remove that segment, connect the road to the junction and check the arrows (use S to split the arrows).

Thanks,
JN
JN40
Send a message

Post by Machete808
Here's a link to the Wiki's best-practices area:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/?title=Best_ma ... _not_to.29

Scroll down a bit and read what it says about simplicity and then the split/unsplit question.

The basic idea is not to make the map displayed on the app look just like real life but to ensure that Waze routes correctly. Having too many lesser roads split complicates the settings -- more junctions at which turns will have to be correctly set -- which allows for more errors to sneak in.

So the general advisory is to separate a two-way road into two one-way segments only under certain conditions, especially if there's significant separation between the two streams of traffic. Hope this helps!
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by nomadica
Can you link some reading on this?

Just now i was converting some two way roads in tecom to split lanes because i know the roads have a barrier in between them so i thought logically it makes sense to have separate roads. I assumed whoever drew the original road was just being too lazy to draw two roads.

on the other hand i can see how it would reduce clutter by doing it this way

I have a feeling that if we convert roads to two ways, future wazers will assume the same thing i did and do the same thing in response rendering the reduction efforts useless.

any thoughts?
nomadica
Send a message

Post by nomadica
i see your point, and for sure it would make things less cluttered, but i have a few reservations

current system does work even though its messy. adding another road for a uturn or turn achieves the desired functionality.

yes its more clutter, but its going to be a lot of work to change all the roads, and for sure someone is going to come along and want to change it one day, so it should be clear that this is the official way to do it, otherwise people will just keep disputing and potentially just leave the work unfinished sending innocent bywazers into the dunes, because they are upset that after all their hard work, someone came and deleted it. This will be both ways, and locking won't help if both editors are on the same level.

by pure logic, i would argue that it does make sense to draw the map according to reality. If its a two way road, draw a two way road, a one way road draw a one way road. So even though un-splitting does makes sense, it does go against logic. And if you look at google maps and garmin, they have separate one way roads drawn out, so i think this topic will bring a lot of debate

my suggestion is that we keep things as they are until this is made official, or at least until the app can support uturns
nomadica
Send a message

Post by nomadica
Ok fair enough, but then it also says if there are no problem reports to consider leaving as is.
When initially reviewing whether to split or "un-split" (merge back together) a roadway, consider these points first:

If a road is currently working with no problem reports, consider leaving it as is.
After reviewing the criteria for when to split or not split a road, if you cannot be sure which way to go, consider sending a permalink of the road to the map editing forums to get additional feedback from other editors.
Try to avoid switching roads back and forth between being split and "un-split". For example, if most of the road is clearly split and only parts would be considered a single two-way road, consider leaving it all split. The same goes for the opposite situation.
I'm mostly playing devils advocate here just to make sure we're doing the right thing and to minimize future disputes and potentially reverting back. I think we all have experienced how annoying it is to have your work altered or changed by someone else. This project will be doing exactly that to others.

To be honest, I've been trying to think of reasons how this would negatively impact traffic reporting (which i believe is priority use of Waze) but I have been unable to think of anything substantial, so I can't really argue anything substantial. I have never used it for navigation as I've been driving this city for over a decade, so its purely about avoiding traffic areas for me.

The only thing I can logically argue though at this time is that if the current app doesnt support uturns, and people are currently using this for navigation, its better to wait till its supported.

And I think if we must change certain areas, then we should work together to ensure that its done properly so we don't end up with unfinished work resulting in hundreds of problem reports
nomadica
Send a message

Post by nomadica
I'm curious, regarding the route to work, since then I assume you changed it to two way roads correct?

Did that solve the issue or did it still send you 13 km extra?

I'll try out navigating my normal routes this week and see how it works out
nomadica
Send a message

Post by nomadica
I think i understood your 2 fils :)

I believe you can just restrict left turn on that junction.

in the same way, if you are coming on that same road you referred to (the one on the left that you can't physically reach from the right hand side of carriageway), you would allow right hand turn onto carriageway, but restrict left hand turn since you can't physically reach the other side of carriageway

is that what you meant?
nomadica
Send a message