دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة

Split Lanes vs Two-Way Roads

Post by
I have been reading up on using split lanes versus single streets on the forums; it appears that using a two-way street is now the preferred way of creating roads. Split lanes should only be used for major highways and freeways. For us that would be the E-something (E-11, E-66, E-311 etc.) roads.

Two-way streets can be marked with a u-turn, and from the forums it seems that this functionality will be rolled out to the apps at a later stage in order to allow roads to receive updates first (U-turn Restrictions?). There are a quite a number of roads in Dubai marked as split-lanes which could benefit from being reduced to a two-way street with the proper turn restritions such as Jumeira Road.

Another note: for landmarks, it is suggested that the number of points should be kept to a minimum and not every detail needs to be drawn (Landmark Database Size Reduction).

POSTER_ID:14900707

Send a message

Post by Arnoniem
I have to agree with bazgrant as well.
I think the "problem of Dubai" is not caused initially by the split roads.
But as i also read in another post of nbezuidenhout, there are a lot of crazy segments, overlaying other seggments, sometime 3 or 4. Sometimes half overlap, and therefore it looks like one road, but there are 2 or 3 and not connected.
I didn;t run into that in Abu Dhabi, but I do in Dubai. And it's a nasty job to fix those.

The issue of unsplitting roads is that it's causing a lot of red arrows on the map, if you do it right. Because a lot of roads, are connected only on 1 side of the road, such as parallel parking roads, and local acces roads. It will be a hell of a job to set all these right. And if you have bad luck, and a level 1 editor finds the SHIFT-Z option, he'll set them all to green turns and ruins the map.

About the spaghetti crossings of 2-by-2 (primary) intersections: we should keep it simple, and functional, and not draw all the possible traffic motions. If it works with the right instructions, you just get a simple square, with u turns possible drawn outside it. Sometime the shortcut for taking a right (if its a big cut-off of the corner) and that should do it! :D
Arnoniem
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ BeNeLux Champs UAE Champs Android Beta Coordinator Middle East
CM:The Netherlands CM:U.A.E. CM:Oman CM:Thailand
https://u.cubeupload.com/Arnoniem/FsnBw8.jpg

Post by bazgrant
I'm not entirely sure how this would work on the majority of roads in and around Abu Dhabi; if there is a single two-way road how do you control turn restrictions from the physical other side of the carriageway that should not be possible? i.e. if you are driving along the right hand side carriageway and there is a turning over on the left hand side carriageway that you physically cannot get to, how would you control which carriageway was allowed to use the turning if it is a single two-way road?

Hopefully I have explained this sufficiently :)

Just my 2 fils :)
bazgrant
Send a message

Post by bazgrant
Yeh thats pretty much it, I think it could work the way you describe - the only problem is that that is a hell of a lot of work :(
bazgrant
Send a message

Post by bazgrant
Could you paste here the permalink please so I can have a look at it and compare to how I've done the roads in Abu Dhabi? :)
bazgrant
Send a message

Post by bazgrant
I have had it running loads of times before, it helps to identify problem areas. All of the areas I have edited and then used navigation on have all sounded fine on the voice navigation. Quite often it does say keep right rather than exit right but now I see it just needs the exit road angle widening. :)

The "speed trap reported ahead" only sounds when you are exceeding the set speed limit for that camera. Quite a lot of the 'confirmed' cameras on the waze map in the UAE have been confirmed and the speed left at 0 - which means it is going to alert you whatever speed you are doing lol. I mark a map problem at those cameras and then go back and edit them for the correct speed limit :)
bazgrant
Send a message

Post by bazgrant
I believe it then changes the camera on the editor to an unconfirmed colour (the brown ones) and places a cross over it. However the cameras marked on the app do not seem to appear on the editor as quickly as roads. It can be very difficult to keep track of cameras as I mark them and then look on the editor for them but they do not appear for a few days, by which time I am already editing another area and forget about them.

It may be quicker and easier to mark map problems instead and add the camera manually in the editor.

Anybody any better ideas or any explanation of why it takes so long for cameras to appear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bazgrant
Send a message

Post by bazgrant
I have to say I am also not happy with the thought of un-splitting all these roads, I don't believe we will gain anything and it just doesn't look correct. The roads are physically split carriageways so should reflect that on all maps. All of the roads in Abu Dhabi are split where they should be and I don't face any of these problems. I try to mirror the satellite images and place slip roads where they are supposed to be. I check turn restrictions and imagine driving that route as I edit it.

Sorry, but I just don't agree in this case.
bazgrant
Send a message

Post by bazgrant
Are you sure there weren't just red arrows in place where there shouldn't be? I have come across many many new road edits that people haven't set all the turns to green as they should be.

The reason I ask is because I use waze for turn-by-turn navigation all the time and I haven't found any of these issues. All of Abu Dhabi and surrounding areas are set to separate one-way roads and it routes me fine and there are no problem reports....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bazgrant
Send a message

Post by Bitterlimon
Hi guys! Spitting or not splitting? I'm new on the block, yet have been looking into editing the map. I found many roads requiring special attention, some are falling into the "split" category. I don't understand what's the problem if done correctly not to split the road on the map? It's more informative to have the proper road arrangement, so when driving in an area, the map can give you better understanding of your whereabouts. Having single line while driving on split lanes creates confusion...

Anyhow many roads are split already. So, what exactly is the problem?
Bitterlimon
Send a message

Post by houstonmg
the most easy and correct is one two way road. don't open a two way road if they are so close and then you have to make a U turn.
Sorry for my inglish
houstonmg
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Mauricio Gálvez S.
Country Manager, Global Champ
Para iniciar tus ediciones lee este topic.