Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

Low Railway Bridge, Quinn's Rd, Shankill, Dublin 18

Post by Patrick_Coleman
The clearance under this railway bridge is 2.94m or 9'7". It causes a lot of grief for lorries and vans. I don't know if Waze supports a "low clearance" warning for a route? If it had it would have saved me a lot of grief last week!
Patrick_Coleman

POSTER_ID:17947035

Send a message
Attachments

Post by davidg666
Patrick_Coleman wrote:The clearance under this railway bridge is 2.94m or 9'7". It causes a lot of grief for lorries and vans. I don't know if Waze supports a "low clearance" warning for a route? If it had it would have saved me a lot of grief last week!
Hey Patrick,

Unfortunately, Waze doesn't have special support for low bridges (or narrow openings, or anything like that) - it only has specific support for normal cars, taxis and motorcycles.

There are plenty of people with larger vehicles, like big vans, trucks and so on, but Waze HQ has been reluctant to add support for them. I think the main reason for this is that they worry that they'd be legally liable if (for example) a truck had an accident on a narrow road or low bridge that Waze had routed them through.

Waze does have a way of marking turns as "difficult", but that just makes it less likely that they would be used for routing, and it would also affect all users equally, so users with smaller vehicles could get worse routes if we used that option here. I took a look at the map for this bridge, and I notice it's the only to pass the railway at this point, so using this option would have no effect, because there's no alternative route.

So I'm sorry there's nothing to help - it sounds like you might have a bit of a run-in with the bridge! Presumably it would have helped if Waze could at least have given a warning of a low bridge - or, at least - a warning of some kind of hazard. We don't have this kind of option though.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland