L2→L1 Unlock: R680 for speed limit fixes  Topic is solved

Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Re: L2→L1 Unlock: R680 for speed limit fixes

Postby davidg666 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:47 am

'morning,
TurbulentPriest wrote:I've no idea if Waze forums knows who I am; it's not showing my username, it's lost most of my posts - and has the wrong sign-up date for me. (That'll teach me to sign up with the app in the US, then register with email here, and subsequently change my username. :roll: )

Anyway, someone in Waterford is clearly getting paid just to move speed limit signs around...

There's a speed van around here quite often - so good to fix this one.
https://waze.com/editor?env=row&lat=52. ... =295541518

https://waze.com/editor?env=row&lat=52. ... =295463331

I have no idea how the combination of the forum, Waze accounts and multiple countries all interact, but it looks like you know how to confuse it :)

There's a new forum coming along soon, but I doubt that'll work much better than this one...

Anyway, I've just downlocked those segments to L1. Can you let us know when you're done, so we can return them to L2?

TurbulentPriest wrote:Incidentally - is there a way to signal "watch out, they tend to put speed vans here" on a map. There's about 3 choice locations in Waterford they like to go and sit...

That *would* be nice - and the locations are published. However, there are about 1100 locations around the country, so if there was an alarm every time somebody passed a place where a speed van *might* be, then Waze would be beeping all the time, and annoyed drivers might turn the alarm off, defeating its purpose.

The published locations aren't precise either - they seem to usually be a stretch of road rather than a single point, although I notice the vans seem to like stopping in the same place every time.

So, we considered doing something like what they do in France, where anything that warns about speed cameras is illegal. They use Waze to warn of stretches of road where there might be a camera. However, this uses the mechanism in Waze for average speed cameras - and we already have at least two average speed cameras here (both directions of the port tunnel in Dublin).

I think the simplest option for now is for users to flag the presence of a van from the app by reporting police at that location - at least that will warn drivers behind them of the van. I know the warning will expire after a fairly short while, but if there are enough drivers behind the first one who tap the "Thanks!" button, that should keep the warning on the map for a while longer.

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: L2→L1 Unlock: R680 for speed limit fixes  Topic is solved

Postby davidg666 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:03 pm

TurbulentPriest wrote:
davidg666 wrote:Can you let us know when you're done, so we can return them to L2?

Done.

Thanks!
TurbulentPriest wrote:Yup; when I was using Waze in the US, there were so many users - it was like a real-time update.
However, our usage volume is much lower - particularly "in the sticks" - so I was just wondering how we could leverage our collective local knowledge to the advantage of those of us who do use it as we drive around, particularly unfamiliar parts.
(Like the time I went to pay for parking in one Waterford town, only for a local to stop me and say - "Sure he goes off duty at 4.30" :D )

We only have usage numbers for Dublin, but even for there, if we had the same usage per-capita as London or Paris, we'd have daily peaks of 5000 users. Instead, we have 400. Well, we did before March, although it's crept back up to 200 now...

In any case, I guess Waze is aimed at people in cities using it for commuting, although I think it works pretty well for country driving too (so long as the roads are all mapped...).

There was a thing a while ago that let you "beep" at other drivers that were also using Waze. I'm not sure why took that away.

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Kevintiobraid » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:05 am

There was a thing a while ago that let you "beep" at other drivers that were also using Waze.

You can still select a user on the app and beep them. (at least the option comes up when I click a user...I haven't clicked it as I don't actually want to beep a random, and don't know why anyone would :?: )
Kevin
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
AM for South Tipperary, Waterford, South Kilkenny, Derby, Nottingham, Lincoln
Pixel 5
Kevintiobraid
Area Manager
Area Manager

L2→L1 Unlock: R680 for speed limit fixes

Postby TurbulentPriest » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:04 am

I've no idea if Waze forums knows who I am; it's not showing my username, it's lost most of my posts - and has the wrong sign-up date for me. (That'll teach me to sign up with the app in the US, then register with email here, and subsequently change my username. :roll: )

Anyway, someone in Waterford is clearly getting paid just to move speed limit signs around...

There's a speed van around here quite often - so good to fix this one.
https://waze.com/editor?env=row&lat=52. ... =295541518

https://waze.com/editor?env=row&lat=52. ... =295463331

Incidentally - is there a way to signal "watch out, they tend to put speed vans here" on a map. There's about 3 choice locations in Waterford they like to go and sit...
TurbulentPriest

Postby TurbulentPriest » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:40 am

davidg666 wrote:'morning,

I have no idea how the combination of the forum, Waze accounts and multiple countries all interact, but it looks like you know how to confuse it :)

As long as it's keeping my points tallied, but who knows :? :roll:
davidg666 wrote:Anyway, I've just downlocked those segments to L1. Can you let us know when you're done, so we can return them to L2?

Done.
davidg666 wrote:I think the simplest option for now is for users to flag the presence of a van from the app by reporting police at that location - at least that will warn drivers behind them of the van. I know the warning will expire after a fairly short while, but if there are enough drivers behind the first one who tap the "Thanks!" button, that should keep the warning on the map for a while longer.

++David

Yup; when I was using Waze in the US, there were so many users - it was like a real-time update.
However, our usage volume is much lower - particularly "in the sticks" - so I was just wondering how we could leverage our collective local knowledge to the advantage of those of us who do use it as we drive around, particularly unfamiliar parts.
(Like the time I went to pay for parking in one Waterford town, only for a local to stop me and say - "Sure he goes off duty at 4.30" :D )

Thanks for the unlock!

-- Doug
TurbulentPriest

Return to Ireland Editor Requests