Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

Speed limit wrong in the village of Inch

Post by KonaEV
I reported the points where the speed limit is reduced from 80kmh to 50kmh and got a message back to say the speed limit is already on this road so it was not altered.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 67&env=row

The speed limit has been left at 80kmh and it is an area that regularly has police cars parked watching the traffic.
KonaEV

POSTER_ID:17835490

Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Brian,
KonaEV wrote:I reported the points where the speed limit is reduced from 80kmh to 50kmh and got a message back to say the speed limit is already on this road so it was not altered.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 67&env=row

The speed limit has been left at 80kmh and it is an area that regularly has police cars parked watching the traffic.
Is that the right permalink? I don't see any village at the location the permalink takes me to in WME. There are several places called Inch around the country, so I want to make sure I'm looking at the right place.

In any case, did you report the points in the app while out on the road, or did you try to change them in the editor? When we originally set the speed limits on all R- roads around the country, we typically used any signs that were visible in street view, but naturally street view images can be out of date. Google seem to have updated a lot of street view images in the last year, which is handy for this, although if you have local knowledge of the locations of speed limit signs, that's even better.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
KonaEV wrote:It is a very small village - the satellite image looks good to me.
I reported it while on the road - one report at each end of the speed restriction - It is a level 2 road so I cannot edit it.
It must be very small indeed :) There's no Waze city created at that location either. Does it have a pub, school, shop, post office or, at least, placename signs at the start and end of the village? If it has any of those things, then we should create a city in Waze so it shows up properly on the map and can be set as a destination. (there's already an "Inch" elsewhere, so this one would have to be "Inch (Clare)")

I also don't see the reports you created at that location, even if they have been closed. Do you remember the user name of the person who closed your reports?

Would you mind putting map comments at the locations where the speed limit changes, saying what the limit should be at that location heading west and heading east (assuming the limit change is on the R474). Unfortunately the street view images there are from 2009, so a lot might have changed since then.

thanks!

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
KonaEV wrote:there is a school and a church but other than the houses that is it.
Presumably it's this Inch here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inch,_County_Clare ? We'll add it to the map in its own right. I didn't notice the school and church when I had a quick look in the editor.
KonaEV wrote:YanisKyr was the person who reported the items fixed.
I'll ask Yanis to take a look at this thread. Maybe there was a misunderstanding in the wording of your reports.
KonaEV wrote:I will try to remember to grab the exact locations again next time I drive through.
If you remember where the locations are you could create a pair of map comments in the editor. That'd save you a journey if you don't usually drive that way.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
KonaEV wrote:I found the google streetview images of the speed limit signs and updated the map.
I had to google how to split the road sections to get the speed limits correctly placed - I added roads/junctions, then deleted them again. Hope this was the correct approach.
Next time I drive the road I will double check the streetview images were up to date and my edits are in the correct places.
Excellent.

Do you know if there are village name signs anywhere on the approach to the village?

I've set the city name of the segments that you've set to 50km/h to be "Inch (Clare)". That'll get the village to appear on the map, but with boundaries defined as the point where the speed limit drops to 50.

Do you think this is a reasonable assumption for the location of the edge of the village? If there aren't name signs, then I usually use the point that the speed limit drops to be the edge of the village.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
KonaEV wrote:Yes, there are village name signs -They are a bit outside of the speed limit zone - I have created two short roads to the north of the R474 called "Inch Start" and "Inch End" that can be deleted again once you have set the boundary.
Good stuff; thanks. I didn't have time yesterday to dig through the SV view to find them. I've extended the village boundaries to these points.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by KonaEV
Hi David,
It is a very small village - the satellite image looks good to me.
I reported it while on the road - one report at each end of the speed restriction - It is a level 2 road so I cannot edit it.
regards,
Brian.
KonaEV
Send a message

Post by KonaEV
Hi David,
there is a school and a church but other than the houses that is it.
YanisKyr was the person who reported the items fixed.
I will try to remember to grab the exact locations again next time I drive through.
KonaEV
Send a message

Post by KonaEV
I found the google streetview images of the speed limit signs and updated the map.
I had to google how to split the road sections to get the speed limits correctly placed - I added roads/junctions, then deleted them again. Hope this was the correct approach.
Next time I drive the road I will double check the streetview images were up to date and my edits are in the correct places.
KonaEV
Send a message

Post by KonaEV
Yes, there are village name signs -They are a bit outside of the speed limit zone - I have created two short roads to the north of the R474 called "Inch Start" and "Inch End" that can be deleted again once you have set the boundary.
KonaEV
Send a message