Any specifics got you confused? Go ahead and let us deal with the puzzling!

Best way to map a road restricted to all vehicles

Post by
What is the best way to map a street restricted by this sign.
UK_traffic_sign_617.svg.png
The street is used by pedestrians but a car may drive though it to reach certain locations. Should I set "time restriction" on segments or should I simply disallow relevant junction arrows at both ends? Is the penalty for red arrow and time restriction the same?
Regards.

POSTER_ID:7544261

Send a message
Last edited by WazingArch on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post by foxitrot
WazingArch wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:
WazingArch wrote:What is the best way to map a street closed by this road sign to all vehicles in both directions. The street is used by pedestrians but a car may drive though it to reach certain locations. Should I set "time restriction" on segments or should I simply disallow relevant junction arrows at both ends? Is the penalty for red arrow and time restriction the same?
Why don't you post a link to the road? From your description, it sounds like this is the specific function of a Private Street. Routing only if the start or end of the route is on the private segment.
Here is link to such road. I am saying that "All vehicles prohibited" is a restriction like other time restrictions, except that it affects all vehicles all the time. So it is logical streets prohibited to vehicles to be mapped with "time restriction" not with "private street" or "pedestrian street".
Interesting. I've never ever seen a place, where such sole sign would be valid conditionally (just like you're describing it). The behavior you're describing would be served by a Private road segment. (Not by a time restriction - it behaves like a time-driven red arrow.) An exception to the rule can also be presented with an additional shield, which describes a condition, when the red sign is or is not valid (e.g. "Only for residents" or "No drive-through"). Some shield examples are also in this forum thread.

The sole round red sign is usually valid unconditionally (at least throughout the Europe) and is equally served in Waze map with red arrows.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
Ah, sorry, beta WME thread.

Anyway, time restrictions are not what you want to use. Not logical at all, unless there are some time dependencies. If such roads do serve e.g. some hotels, then there have to be some exceptions from the absolute restriction, which are served in Waze by using a Private segment.

Otherwise the complete restriction road shield usage there is incorrect.

Sent from a touch display, which took care of perfectly scrambling my thoughts.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
WazingArch wrote:But I still have one final question. How do we map roads that are closed for certain vehicle types, i.e. private cars, trucks, buses, public transportation etc (example). I think we use "time restrictions" feature to restrict certain vehicle types and allow others.
You are right, the vehicles can only be distinguished between using the "Restrictions" (and only "Private cars", "TAXIs" and "all others" categories are functional). The Time Based Restrictions (TBR) are useful for restricting some vehicles and/or during some time periods.
WazingArch wrote:So mapping a road prohibited to all vehicle types for all the time should be done by "time restriction". Does it make more sense now?
:-) No :-D OK, you surely can do it this way, but it is "overkill" to do so (and the absolute prohibitive effect is not immediately obvious unless opening the TBR dialog window), the effect is the same like using red arrows from both sides or even better with a non-drivable segment type (Walk Trail or (if you do not need house numbers) the Pedestrian Boardwalk), which are both simpler to use.

OK, I understand now your reasoning. It is doable "the your way", just too cumbersome and not immediately obvious.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
Sorry, the segment does not get selected, possibly you've split it today into these two segments? If it is this shield,
Time closure BG.jpg
then yes, a TBR with time period (daily 07-19) + all vehicles is the most appropriate solution.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
WazingArch wrote:but what if segment is private certain times of the day and free at others. How are you going to map it.
Quite simple. Time based restriction on the segment(s), for all vehicle types, during 09-17.

foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
If I'm not wrong, the segment time restrictions should also apply to routing when exiting a restricted (series of) segment(s) - no drive through during the restricted time, but driving in should be possible. The behavior should be equivalent to the Private segment, but please try it out.

foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
WazingArch wrote:What is the best way to map a street closed by this road sign to all vehicles in both directions. The street is used by pedestrians but a car may drive though it to reach certain locations. Should I set "time restriction" on segments or should I simply disallow relevant junction arrows at both ends? Is the penalty for red arrow and time restriction the same?
Regards.
Why don't you post a link to the road? From your description, it sounds like this is the specific function of a Private Street. Routing only if the start or end of the route is on the private segment.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
WazingArch wrote:I understand what are you saying and why, and will follow your advice, because Waze works the way you say. But I still have one final question. How do we map roads that are closed for certain vehicle types, i.e. private cars, trucks, buses, public transportation etc (example). I think we use "time restrictions" feature to restrict certain vehicle types and allow others. So mapping a road prohibited to all vehicle types for all the time should be done by "time restriction". Does it make more sense now? Prohibitory traffic signs belong to one group and should be mapped the same way in Waze.
Look at it in the other direction. You use time and vehicle-type restrictions if you need to restrict for certain times and/or certain vehicle types. If you need to restrict something at all times, for all vehicles, then you just use a simple restriction or the correct road type.

The "restrictions" interface was added as an answer to the problem: not all restrictions are always applicable to all vehicle types. But some restrictions are, and for that, we already had road types and red arrows.

If the segment is never drivable in any vehicle, but must be used on foot, by pedestrians, to get to certain places, the correct type is Walking Trail. I believe this is the situation you described in earlier posts.

If the segment is drivable by some specific vehicles all the time, but no one else at any time (e.g., residents of a particular street or employees of a particular business only), the correct type is Private Road.
xfelix wrote:Just to this thread.
I left a comment for an intersection which only allows Taxi left turn. However, my waze app already configured as Private car. It still routes thru the left turn.

Is this vehicle restriction not working at all? Or just my application issue? Thanks.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 8933.10565
I cannot tell what you are talking about because the permalink does not include any selected segments.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by vince1612
A restriction would end proper navigation at the segment's entrance, and setting arrows to red would trigger MP's saying people don't respect the red arrow whenever an authorized vehicle goes through.

If you know there are some authorized car who will go but that others should not, and you want the few who can use the segment to have proper routing, I would just make it a private road segment and leave arrows green and no restrictions.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png

Post by vince1612
WazingArch wrote:Does time restriction make road completely unroutable? Setting street to "private" doesn't reflect the reality in my opinion. May be we can use time restrictions on turns at segment ends.
Sorry for the delay, I've been mostly focused on work the last couple of days, I thought maybe someone else would post.

It wasn't always like this but yes, restrictions make roads un-routable. Even recently I helped an editor who had put restrictions on the streets to get to his building and he was wondering why Waze would route him to the beginning of the street but not further. Since he removed the restrictions and switched the type/category to private road it started to work again.

In the end it only depends if you want the few who are allowed to drive on the segment to be guided properly or not.
The streets with such signs are mapped as private here if there are exceptions, or as pedestrian if there are no exceptions at all.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png