Any specifics got you confused? Go ahead and let us deal with the puzzling!

Difference between "unpaved" option and "dirt road"

Post by
Hello,
not so long ago a new option "unpaved" appeared under road type dropdown. Is there any difference between this option and dirt roads or they do behave the same. So far my understanding is that this option is for maintained roads that have no permanent coverage (gravel roads and macadam roads) and a normal car can use them with caution.

POSTER_ID:7544261

Send a message
Last edited by WazingArch on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by juankx
juliansean wrote:I noticed the last post was in November. Has anything official come out on which we should be using or is it up to the discretion of our RC? I still see many roads having the unpaved checked and many having off road selected. I am just wondering if there is a consensus yet? Thank you.
The old road category "4x4 / Dirty Road" was renamed to Off-road / Not maintained. The new road attribute "Unpaved" remains and can be set for any other road category.

Some mapping rules for this kind of things could change depending of some specific needs of each country. "Unpaved" roads are supposed to be good enough for any kind of vehicle but "exists people who prefer avoiding it". "Off-road / Not maintained" are reserved for those roads that may require a car with high ground clearance, AWD or 4WD.

A penalty will prevent routing thru these roads when the user wants to avoid them. However, the final implementation and how they will be displayed on the app are still under discussion.

You should ask to your country champs team for local guidance about this topic.
juankx
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by juliansean
I noticed the last post was in November. Has anything official come out on which we should be using or is it up to the discretion of our RC? I still see many roads having the unpaved checked and many having off road selected. I am just wondering if there is a consensus yet? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by matsalka
Uzielu wrote:In Mexico there are a lot of streets that are paved in really bad conditions. They are either cracked or have lots of potholes. Some times Waze insists that I should take this or that street but I don't want since there are other ones in better condition. My concern here is that if I get to drive in a new city it will want to take me along this type of roads.
I would set all those really bad streets as unpaved, but you should discuss this with local editors first before doing so.
matsalka
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

CM & Coordinator of Estonia | Eesti keelne Wiki | Facebook: Waze Eesti

Post by ranttine
Looks familiar.
this is also a highway. Mapped as such, with 'unpaved' box set.
ranttine
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by RichardPyne
Just to throw in my $.02, I have places that are well traveled "highways" that are maintained gravel. The same area has many miles of un-maintained gravel and dirt roads, along with even more that should be considered 4x4 trails. As things are, they all get jumbled in together because there is no clear direction on the road type.
RichardPyne
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by SkiDooGuy
WazingArch wrote:We have certain highways that are in very bad condition and using them is undesirable. What would be the best way to mark them on map - changing them to dirt roads or using unpaved option? Here is an example of national highway.

I found several requests about adding unpaved option for mapping unpaved highways. (hereand here) Perhaps staff has fulfilled these requests and won't remove dirt roads?

That's a highway???? :o

Well it's up to your countries leadership to design your mapping standards, but here in the US, that would get the "Unpaved" checkbox.

As was mentioned, there is a large debate over the checkbox/dropdown, and what each will be used for. But I would certainly say that is not a road that should be marked anything but "Unpaved".

Just my .02
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by Uzielu
WazingArch wrote:What I try to say is that the word "Unpaved" has a confusing meaning. It should be renamed to "Bad condition/surface" or "No covering" and everyone will be understanding what it is about.
In Mexico there are a lot of streets that are paved in really bad conditions. They are either cracked or have lots of potholes. Some times Waze insists that I should take this or that street but I don't want since there are other ones in better condition. My concern here is that if I get to drive in a new city it will want to take me along this type of roads.
Uzielu
Send a message

Post by vince1612
It's hard to give an answer to this because there is still an internal debate between the community Champs and Waze staff about Unpaved - Dirt road - 4x4 Trails road types and segment checkbox attribute.

We were told at some point that staff planned to keep only the "unpaved" checkbox on segment attribute properties and that they would delete the road type. Forcing us to use "Streets" and to check them as "unpaved" where they are not really streets. Most of the community wants to keep the road type too for various reasons (Visual map esthetics, possibilities to offer better and more accurate routing, etc..)

It is unclear what will happen in the future about all of this for now.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png

Post by vince1612
As I don't personally have similar experience I think it's best that I let another Champ who has had to deal with similar situations in his country answer you on that one ;)
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.

Post by vince1612
WazingArch wrote:What I try to say is that the word "Unpaved" has a confusing meaning. It should be renamed to "Bad condition" and everyone will бе ундерстандинг what it is about.
The word unpaved was specifically requested by the community. Localizations teams translating the app in other languages are free to use a slightly different word in their language so that it remains clear for everyone.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message