request from a user driving an ambulance

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

request from a user driving an ambulance

Postby ajfrye » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:51 pm

So I just started using the app and so far think its great. My request though is if it would be possible to add an "emergency vehichle in transit" type of option. I'm an EMT and mostly use the app while driving the ambulance. The thing most people don't realize is even when you're blairing your lights and sirens while driving an emergency, most people are completely oblivious to you. I think it would be useful if I could change my status to "driving an emergency" so that it would warn other wazers that an ambulance is aproaching. Obviously this won't solve all the issues of going lights and sirens but every bit helps right. Also just a personal hope, I think it would be cool if you made a mood that represented an EMS driver.
ajfrye

Re: request from a user driving an ambulance

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:17 am

Also, there isn't any way to verify you are actually driving an emergency vehicle.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MGODLEW » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:44 pm

While Waze is great for personal navigation, I'm not sure it is should primarily be used by first responders quite yet when someones life could be on the line. While it doesn't happen often Waze has routed me to the wrong address before, this of course would not be a good thing when navigating to an emergency call. Also, most 911 centers use Computer-aided dispatch (CADS) that have computers integrated in each emergency responders vehicle with 100% verified GPS routing, roads, & house numbers. When I'm at work I drive with Waze open, I will drive around and report Hazards or Accidents as I see or respond to them but do not use it for routing purposes.
Rank 5 US Champ & Waze Mentor | PA Forum | PA Wiki | Waze FAQ | iPhone 5s: JB iOS 7.0.6 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby scruffy151 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:10 pm

The biggest use of this kind of option would be to tell the servers to ignore the speed data from this trip. Since you would most likely be moving faster than the rest of the traffic.
scruffy151

Postby slandrum » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:01 pm

This won't work as well as you might think. It takes several minutes for anything you do or report to propagate out to other drivers near you, so you won't really be warning anyone, you'll be telling them after you are long gone.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests