If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Dirt surface as checkbox

Post by Instigater
We over here in Latvia don't have a lot of good ways. We have rather complex road network and our biggest problem ir road classification. Even some of our primary highways are dirt roads but they are maintained very well. We need a checkbox to describe a road surface as unpaved and maintain our road classification/representation right. Can you help us make our country's wazers happy?
Instigater

POSTER_ID:1327807

Send a message
Community Coordinator: Latvia
LV community: Operācija "Meži" - saraujam!
Other communities: Take the challenge! Go green! Improve map of your country and show us the progress!

Post by Daknife
This was recently discussed in another thread about similar dirt and gravel roads in NZ. I'm too lazy to look up the link sorry. Anyway the consensus was for the country editors to come together to define and determine how they should mark which roads. In the meantime it was decided that if it's used as a regular road, to mark it as a street. Save the trail designation for the rough roads.

That said, the "Dirt road/4X4 trail" is far to limited in scope. The option of "Unimproved:, or "Dirt" and "Gravel" check boxes would be a great fix. Rather than create several additional road types to make the drop-down list even longer, allow any drive-able and route-able road surface to default to paved, well any but Major Highway and Freeway. Then give us the check boxes to allow us to mark the road as maintained dirt/gravel. And disable the avoid feature for any street so marked.

There is a definite difference between an un-maintained dirt trail, and a maintained dirt or graveled roadway. I'm a big fan of being able to set Waze to avoid dirt roads. In Utah we have had multiple deaths over the last few years when people's GPS devices took them off paved roads and got them lost and stuck in the middle of the desert, because whoever built the map was following really old government maps and marked an old government trail as a passable road. So I like the feature, but We also have miles of well maintained dirt roads, roads that get graded frequently, plowed during the winter and are always very drive-able (even by Corvettes) I still mark them as dirt to be consistent but I get the occasional complaint UR when someone doesn't like that Waze won't take them on their favorite route.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by harling
Instigater wrote:We over here in Latvia don't have a lot of good ways. We have rather complex road network and our biggest problem ir road classification. Even some of our primary highways are dirt roads but they are maintained very well. We need a checkbox to describe a road surface as unpaved and maintain our road classification/representation right. Can you help us make our country's wazers happy?
In the meantime, you might (accurately) classify the more difficult dirt roads as "Dirt Roads/4x4 Trails", and configure your client [Settings > Routing > Dirt roads] to "Don't allow".
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jasonh300
zCougar wrote:+1 from me too (from Estonia). It is really not an option to use "4x4" for minor highways which a) hides them from outer zoom level and makes navigation harder and b) are used for a small 4x4 or muddy roads (which also exists between fields and in the woods).

--
Cougar
If dirt roads are the standard where you are, then it may not be an issue. In places where most roads are paved, people tend to drive cars that can't be driven on dirt roads. So they have an option to disallow dirt roads. In places where most roads are dirt, I assume most people drive 4x4s or trucks (or they just don't drive vehicles like Corvettes that have 3 inches of ground clearance).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
Some time ago I was mapping some roads in Slovania and there you also have this problem, but I don't think there will be a solution very soon.
But I also don't think it's a big problem. I don't really think you want not to drive those roads ;-)

In Slovenia I just mapped those roads as a highway.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by swaanson
The same case in neigboring Estonia :)
Many highways are well maintaned gravel roads and you can drive at highway speeds. Some people just don't want to get their car dusty, that's why we need this option. Currently we mark them as highways because dirt roads are hard to see on the client.
But I love them on my KTM. Id rather have waze give me a routing option "as rough and dirty as possible" :P

Checkbox is a great idea or if you want to get a bit more exact:
Paved
Gravel
Dirt

Drive wise it doesn't make much difference whether you're on a gravel or dirt road. What matters is whether it is a highway or some small road. And this checkbox would be much appreciated!

PS. I think 'Unpaved' is a better word than 'dirt' because it covers both gravel and dirt roads.
swaanson
Send a message

Post by zCougar
+1 from me too (from Estonia). It is really not an option to use "4x4" for minor highways which a) hides them from outer zoom level and makes navigation harder and b) are used for a small 4x4 or muddy roads (which also exists between fields and in the woods).

--
Cougar
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Waze 4.83.5.1: Galaxy S21 5G | | Atom
CM@Estonia / WME beta tester / Android beta tester
PALUN LOE: Waze eestikeelne juhend wikis