If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Complete Fail: Road Closures

Post by cobra_snake
This week my area experienced annual flooding and road closures.
How well did Waze work? Waze routed me on flooded roads! :x

How important is this? Very. I wasted several hours getting routed to a flooded road with a horrendous congested detour. I'm still pretty disgruntled over it. Technology such as Waze should have solved this.

Did Waze warn me? Nope. Should have.

Did Waze know about the road closure do to flooding? Nope, but should have.

Here are some problems with the normal road closure:
There's a lot of steps to complete to submit for a flooded road. Not something I liked doing when driving, but I wanted others to benefit.
You have to be near the closed road to submit a closure.
The road closure appears to be one way.
The road closure duration is flawed. When there's a flood, we don't know when the road is going to reopen. Could be hours, could be days, could be a week.

So here are some ideas...

Reporting:

There is an official government website posting road closures. Either Waze can automatically intake the closures, or allow a Waze user to submit closures through the website (and other methods).

The road should remain closed until: A) The government website reopens the road; B) A Wazer drives on the road (since we have no idea when the road will reopen). Really no need to report the road as open when you have drivers on it!

Advanced:

Waze could make some assumptions that when a road is expected to have traffic (historical data), but doesn't have any travelers, there's a problem, and there could be an alert. This could signal a road closure from a flood, down tree, blocked road, some anomaly, etc. For advanced users, you could send them a report so they can investigate and report their findings.

Thanks,
Jake
cobra_snake

POSTER_ID:17005517

Send a message

Post by Bezmen
I agree. In areas prone to seasonal flooding of during the flood, avalanche stretches of road or roads closed snowfall, and other emergency need to use official sources. This will allow to exhibit overlap in advance. You can also learn about the festive procession that affect movement. And barring settings directly at the place simply unacceptable - in many cases it may even be life-threatening.
Bezmen
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree that the road closure system remains flawed. Considering the lack of traffic on normally used roads a reason to route to the road rather than avoid the road continues to be problem. But it is an issue that waze has been made aware of. There are some modifications coming that will make it easier for map editors to manage closures, but the interface for reporting closures in the app is still not user friendly.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by cobra_snake
Continued major failures with the seasonal flooding in the Seattle/Puget Sound Area.
I reported a road closure caused by flooding.
The option is Report -> Closure -> Hazard. A flooded road is much more than a "hazard".
I manually type "flood". Sure would be nice to have a "Flooded Road" report instead of a "hazard".
When selecting the road that is closed, it is only in one directio. So this means the other driver coming from the opposite side of the road won't get re-routed to avoid the closure...WTF! Really annoying when I want to make my commute back home, because Waze won't use the information I entered.

And since I avoid going near routes that have road closures, I can't report the road closed. I was just a nice guy this time and drove to the flooded road to report it...and really annoyed at the process...which I found out wasn't worth my time to help others.
cobra_snake
Send a message

Post by scpetrel
Agreed. I'm in a low-lying city with frequent tidal flooding, and there are roads that just aren't safely driveable at high tide/rain. It's also frustrating to know full well that a road is closed or unsafe, but not be able to do a thing about it via the app. I can be sitting on a bridge, looking down at a flooded road, and unable to report it for other drivers. Locals probably can manage this - but visitors? No way.
scpetrel
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
Also note that, if you do succeed in placing a closure for something like this, just set the duration to all day or long term, the closure will be automatically cancelled once wazers begin driving through the closed area, by design.

But yes, the implementation of closures in the app is in desperate need of work.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!