If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Which side of the road is an event on?

Post by magorkerby
I'm finding that I cannot tell which lane/side of the highway or road an event pertains to. I wish the icons were positioned or changed to better indicate which direction of travel an event pertains to. I often check Waze before leaving work and since my commute is typically the same route it would be nice if it only displayed events that affect the speed of travel of my lane of the freeway.
magorkerby

POSTER_ID:3223911

Send a message

Post by wroadd
Main problem:
The GPS system currently is not so precise, to obtain the right position of the user (best guess is 5-10 m-s when the reciever is stand still).
Currently the report method is using the position and the direction of the move to set the events, so no matter, that the event's reported location is fitting to the road or not, it will alert on the nearest road, where the direction of event is equal with the road's direction.

So if You see an event in the right side of the road, not means that the event is there (this is true, too if you report an event to the other lane.)
wroadd
Send a message
Waze Global Champ, (Re)tired
Hardware: Oukitel U22 & iPhone 7
Car: Soca Octavia : red

Post by Tad-Hewz
I just wanted to add my two cents worth on this post.

I'd like to (and like others to be able to) indicate which side of the road the hazard is located. With the push of button. I see that screen space is at a premium.

But, if you can work in two buttons where you now have one, I'd suggest something like:

"Shoulder left"
"Shoulder right"

And, related to this issue, I have a question/suggestion:

when a driver is sending a report of a hazard, does Waze drop the location of the hazard at the point when the "SEND" button is pressed (that what it seems like to me) or some distance in back of the point (vehicle location) when the "SEND" button is pressed?

My comment/suggestion is that Waze should drop the hazard five to ten seconds in back of when the SEND button is pressed. That's about the fastest I can enter a simple "car stopped" report, for instance.

So, if I'm traveling 60 miles an hour, then in five seconds, I travel 440 feet.
Tad-Hewz
Send a message

Post by pulsarxp
magorkerby wrote:I'm finding that I cannot tell which lane/side of the highway or road an event pertains to. I wish the icons were positioned or changed to better indicate which direction of travel an event pertains to. I often check Waze before leaving work and since my commute is typically the same route it would be nice if it only displayed events that affect the speed of travel of my lane of the freeway.
The event will appear in your direction, because it pops up a notice that something is in front of you, causing increases in travel time. Or you can choose to view reports on the route.
pulsarxp
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://sign.waze.tools/images/signatures/cones-6.png
Country manager: Hungary
Hardware: Samsung S9 Plus : Android 9.0.0
Car: Peugeot 206 SW

Post by gettingthere
As a side note: you should rely more on Waze routing you the fastest way, which uses the passive/automatic traffic reporting rather than being concerned with vehicles stopped on the median and manual road reports.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Reinforcing AlanOfTheBerg's post - Per the US Federal Highway Administration:

"DEFINITION. Shoulder - the portion of the roadway contiguous with the traveled way for accommodation of stopped vehicles for emergency use, and for lateral support of the base and surface courses."

So the median is also a shoulder. Use shoulder when reporting median hazards in Waze.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by gettingthere on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico