If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

POI database

Post by kasrhp
I know that Waze is not a full featured GPS (only really meaning it doesnt have the huge POI database), but I remembered something the other day.

My wife has a Garmin gps unit. I was doing some surfing for some interesting things to mess around with on it. There are several sites that have user submitted POI. You get rankings, just like Waze, and are able to add POI to the online database based on how high your ranking is. It is set up so the first users of the site are not able to add places like restaurants, shopping, etc, until they have put their time in.
They are not a part of Garmin, but rather supply "data packs" of info. For instance if you wanted to upload all of the Starbucks coffee shops in the state of Florida, one would be able to, and other users are able to download these packs and install on their Garmins. You could also add places like all the bars in Tampa, FL, or playgrounds in Miami, FL, and so on.
It gives the users more access, and maybe more info on certain specific things they want. The data packs are usually stored under favorites on the device.
So, I was thinking with Waze being user submitted social gps device and all, that might be a way to go if you guys were ever interested in doing POI. I know you have said the POI databases are usually a ton of money, and wanting to keep this free, obviously out of the question.
Maybe it can be set up at first where you must be at the location to add into the POI database. The lat and long would be there, users can add phone numbers to the data also, but keep it on the simpler side for info. It could be managed by other users just like the maps are. If a restaurant is out of place, users can move it down/across the street.

Just an idea.
kasrhp

POSTER_ID:536

Send a message

Post by kasrhp
That would be awesome. If we could get the POI user generated database, it could be more feature packed in some ways than most handheld units. Users would be able to add or erase POI's as soon as their up or down. :D :D :D :D :D :D
kasrhp
Send a message

Post by krankyd
Hi
this is the direction we will take in the near future. As you said, keeping this app free will refrain us from buying any large POI database, but we're looking into a few DB of user-generated POIs and hopefully we'll be able to add them to waze sooner than later...
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by krankyd
thanks and we definitely want to be there... we will have to keep it in a wiki format somehow (i.e. with permissions) as to avoid spamming / malicious acts... but we definitely see the plus in having a community-based POI set and want to have it.
Also, many states have, as part of their public information GIS, a list of 'un-populated places', referring to locations that are essentially POIs (like universities, libraries, parks, etc). Those will be a good base for this POI DB.
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by krankyd
that's definitely our vision as well.... now we're just looking at different ways to implement it and have some kind of 'base' level of POIs. Hopefully we can get this going soon...
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by mysoulishome
I had this same idea while driving around using Waze over the weekend. I used to add my own POI's to share with other TomTom users all the time. It's fun adding your favorite sights and local businesses...then someday when another Wazer drives through your town they can find their way around.
mysoulishome
Send a message