If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

width of the road

Post by
Hi! Often the width of the road does not correspond to reality. Example a four-lane road looks narrower than it should be. Make possible to specify the number of lanes on the road for cars (in cartouche web interface), and depending on the width of the draw of the road. This would also avoid the appearance of parallel roads on the broad highways.

POSTER_ID:23792

Send a message

Post by coconha
I have a bit of a problem with how wide the roads are displayed in the Waze client. Highways and freeways are shown very wide for example. In the web Live Map, things look much better.

For example, I am trying to edit a part of the map where I have a freeway and 2 parallel overpasses.

The problem is that the freeway is divided in 4 carriageways that receive and feed right and left ramps to both overpasses. The only way, to correct represent all the ramp connections is to represent each freeway carriageway as a separate road in Waze. All looks feasible in the Live Map, but in the client, the freeway roads are so thick and wide that one cannot tell them apart and the whole think becomes a big fat mess.

Is it necessary to have a "thick" representation of freeways and highways in the client? Couldn't it follow the standard of the Live Map or Cartouche where the width differences are less pronounced and colour is the important descriptor?
coconha
Send a message

Post by gerben
unnefer wrote:One other thing to mention though, on my iphone, the GPS tracking/performance seems to be very poor when using Waze, compared to other GPS apps (like Maps, PD Maps, CityMaps2Go, Stagger Home etc) - the car never seems to "snap" to any lane as often as it should, and instead it starts steamrolling a new road.
If you turn off the steamroller, it wil snap a lot easier, and you are no longer making roads that have to be removed afterward. It is better to turn it on only when driving at roads which have not been driven before.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by hailstorm
I like the idea of showing number of lanes for a road. Much better for the map to show what you see in the real world.

Also motorways/highways aren't always 3 lanes. They may split off into 2 lanes.
hailstorm
Send a message

Post by hailstorm
Yeah I agree. Doesn't mean you need to have a 3 lane road appear the same as motorway. It would be nice to have lane guidance, same as you find on tomtoms. You can't have that without some information on how many lanes a road has.
hailstorm
Send a message

Post by hailstorm
Yeah it can be a sketchy at times. On motorways though it's always been pretty accurate for me.
hailstorm
Send a message

Post by hailstorm
Actually yes it does. The information isn't always complete but I've had instructions such as stay in the left 2 lanes. On roundabouts it will also tell you what lane you need to be.

Like I said the information isn't always there but when it is it works great. I saw a big improvement in the amount of this information in the last couple of map updates.
hailstorm
Send a message

Post by Majumdar
I think the width of the road is determined by the "type" selected - roads, streets, primary street, major highway, freeway, parking lot road, etc.

Rob
Majumdar
Send a message
Area Manager - Quebec, Canada

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Android 4.4.4 | Waze Beta 3.9.3 | Telus Mobility

Post by QuickOK
Perhaps refer to the labeling and naming of roads in the Support | Wiki Section
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by sketch
Well, wide highways that look like parallel roads are parallel roads. No map sizes roads based on the number of lanes. Google, Bing, TomTom, Garmin, they all have set road types, and the line size follows those. Waze is the same way.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Yes, but the number of lanes has little to no correlation with the speed you can expect to travel on a road. You'll probably be going the same speed on Magazine (one lane each way, not divided) that you'll go on Veterans (three lanes on either side of a canal).

Line thickness should correlate to relative speed of travel, not to road thickness. Speed of travel is more important information.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!