If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

width of the road

Post by uranik
Hi! Often the width of the road does not correspond to reality. Example a four-lane road looks narrower than it should be. Make possible to specify the number of lanes on the road for cars (in cartouche web interface), and depending on the width of the draw of the road. This would also avoid the appearance of parallel roads on the broad highways.
uranik

POSTER_ID:23792

Send a message

Post by sketch
Well, maybe. If TomTom's lane guidance is the same as it is on my One 3rd Edition, I think it merely makes assumptions. I have heard "Stay on the right lane" for one-lane-each-way roads, for instance.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Yeah, motorways are always going to be multi-lane, so "Stay on the left lane" is always going to be a valid instruction for left exits. I doubt TomTom knows exactly which lanes go where or how many lanes there are.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I agree with coconha. The new colour schemes are great, but the roads are still thicker than they have to be.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Freeways should be split into two one-way halves. This would be making things unnecessarily complicated.

I have no problems snapping to a twelve-lane interstate every day on the way to and from work. Other GPS makers get by just fine without number-of-lane data. What needs to be changed is Waze's snapping behaviour, not the lane-awareness.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I agree that the snapping function should be improved. I'd like to see an "intelligent" snap, where it will only snap you to roads that are connected to the roads you came from. So if you are on the interstate, and due to GPS wandering it puts you on a side street or service road, it'll know better.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Agreed. Perhaps at first this should be only enabled in the US, or it should have a toggle in the menu.

Also, it might work okay, anyway. This would--if it works like it should--mostly only affect interstates, service roads, and exit ramps.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by TheCheesemeister
sketch wrote:I agree that the snapping function should be improved. I'd like to see an "intelligent" snap, where it will only snap you to roads that are connected to the roads you came from. So if you are on the interstate, and due to GPS wandering it puts you on a side street or service road, it'll know better.
+1.. However, with the amount of roads (here in the UK anyway) not yet mapped/incomplete, this might cause more problems than it solves, at least until our data is more complete.
TheCheesemeister
Send a message

Post by unnefer
What would be better is if there were more road/street/freeway options.

My suggestion is that under "Edit Road Details", in the first drop-down box that designates a street type, the street types should include number of lanes, and then if the "direction" is set to "one-way", the number of lanes is automatically halved.

With the inclusion of lanes, road width will be easier to manage depending on number of lanes and street type. It would also make mapping much easier and make the client map much easier to navigate rather then having to add a few "Primary Street" in each direction or multiple "Freeway" beside each other to manage lanes for on and off ramps. There will also need to be a way to then join an on/off ramp to a specific lane.

ie.
Highways
Freeway - 12 lanes
Freeway - 10 lanes
Freeway - 8 lanes
Freeway - 6 lanes
Freeway - 4 lanes
Major Highway - 8 lanes
Major Highway - 6 lanes
Major Highway - 4 lanes
Major Highway - 2 lanes
Minor Highway - 6 lanes
Minor Highway - 4 lanes
Minor Highway - 2 lanes
Ramps - 4 lanes
Ramps - 2 lanes

Streets
Primary Street - 6 lanes
Primary Street - 4 lanes
Primary Street - 2 lanes
Street - 4 lanes
Street - 2 lanes
Service Road - 4 lanes
Service Road - 2 lanes

Then, for example, if "Primary Street - 4 Lanes" is selected as well as the direction "one-way ->", it will change the mapped street to a one-way, 2 lane, primary street.
unnefer
Send a message

Post by unnefer
sketch wrote: I have no problems snapping to a twelve-lane interstate every day on the way to and from work. Other GPS makers get by just fine without number-of-lane data.
They may not have lanes assigned, but their maps have much more accurate road widths, so it is easier for a client to snap to the correct area of the road they are driving on.

ie. If I use my Navman GPS and drive on an 8 lane freeway in the most outside lane, the Navman almost always places the car location on the edge the freeway displayed on the screen. Same with 4 lane etc - it does this all the way to a single lane.

If that is due to "snapping", then yes, please improve that :)

One other thing to mention though, on my iphone, the GPS tracking/performance seems to be very poor when using Waze, compared to other GPS apps (like Maps, PD Maps, CityMaps2Go, Stagger Home etc) - the car never seems to "snap" to any lane as often as it should, and instead it starts steamrolling a new road.
unnefer
Send a message