Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by gabmtl
I also agree to have the option of disabling popup notifications all together, I can't use them.

I would not mind having an option so see a fully grayed out high view of the map with reports simply being highlighted (not grayed out) so I can avoid hot spots. Or have them color the map in a transparent shade that would indicate how bad the traffic jam is (yellow, orange, red).
gabmtl
Send a message

Post by MasToK
Hi,
I'm french. Many of my friends don't use Waze because of those useless pop-up when we are stopped.
Even if I put 5Km, I don't need it, it is not on my way !
Lot of people during traffic jam have those pop-up drinving really slowly and can't see GPS !

Only negative points:
many request to serveurs
lot of 3G Data on smartphones = less battery
Absolutly nobody need these informations

Really after 1 year of Waze, I'm so mad to see this stupid and useless option, BUT WORST: I don"t understand why Staff dont allow us to disable this fonction ! Why ??? Let us choose !You will see 99.99% of Wazers will STOP this fonction ! Just add "no information" with 5km, 10km..etc.

PLEASE !!!!
MasToK
Send a message

Post by photobuff4955
I, too, agree with this request. I haven't quite figured out how they are triggered altho it's interesting to note others talk about reports from people in the group you've joined and how they're only when stopped. The latter I would disagree with, I get reports whether I'm moving or not. Thing is, I'll get reports from 25 miles away and not even in the direction of the route I have planned. It really is quite annoying. I think the "default" regarding notifications should be the ROUTE YOU HAVE PLANNED. Period. This should also be the default when you click on reports. The first choice should be ON MY ROUTE, not ALL and then "on my route". I really don't care if the police are on the highway 30 miles away. As to setting notifications for 5 miles, obviously this needs to be more user-friendly cause I sure haven't figured out where it is!

As to staff not monitoring this blog, that's too bad. Cause it seems like a lot of us have the same opinions.
photobuff4955
Send a message

Post by sketch
Yeah, the pop-ups only display when you are stopped. When waze notices that you are moving, they vanish again.

I think, if something is reported on your route specifically, waze will show a pop-up stating this. I once reported a police trap, took a couple U-turns, and saw a warning accompanied by a sound (I think). It's the only time I ever noticed that, but that will change when we have more users.

And what zzyzx said is true: it displays only the nearest things to you. As the userbase grows, the alerts will become more relevant.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by SuperHeats
Well, I'm new to using this app and is nice to see some of my issues listed from other users 3 years ago have not been addressed. I'm in agreement with being able to choose a smaller radius for events that occur. I have had mine set to 5 miles and get all these pop-ups when I stop regarding events that are no where even close to me. As well as there needs to be more information listed in the event. All I see is, for example, major accident, Preston Rd., Dallas. Well, Preston Rd. runs for miles and the accident reported could be anywhere. In rush hour traffic, every time I stop, my phone blows up with notifications and change to fast to see the map. The closest cross street should be included on the report, like Preston Rd. @ Frankford Rd.

I also agree that the user should be allowed to turn off notifications for traffic cams. I drive the same way to work and back home every day. I know where the cameras are and don't need to see the pop ups every time I drive by them. They already show up on the map so what's the need?

Do the folks from Waze even read these posts? Just seems to me that people are posting and no one takes notice.
SuperHeats
Send a message

Post by ThenISaidWTF
sketch wrote:Yeah, the pop-ups only display when you are stopped. When waze notices that you are moving, they vanish again.

I think, if something is reported on your route specifically, waze will show a pop-up stating this. I once reported a police trap, took a couple U-turns, and saw a warning accompanied by a sound (I think). It's the only time I ever noticed that, but that will change when we have more users.

And what zzyzx said is true: it displays only the nearest things to you. As the userbase grows, the alerts will become more relevant.
I'd like option to be able to turn on/off the notifications when you're stopped.

I'm fine with notifications of up coming police or signal light cameras coming up along your route.

It's distracting when I'm stopped traffic and then the notifications start showing of things that are not along my drive.
ThenISaidWTF
Send a message

Post by Tod273
First, the good... Been using this app for almost two years now. It just keeps getting better and better. It used to lock up my phone, but that is history. Also, it used to use some funky routing, but that seems to have simmered down as well. My job has me all over Central Florida daily. My job consists of finding and going to 8 - 10 homes/customers each day. Waze has been flawless as of late.

OK... now that I got that out of the way...
PLEASE, just let me turn off the notifications completely! First, I can't read them anyway, unless I have my Wal-Mart readers on. There have been so many times that I am zero-ing in on a destination when the pop up comes up and blocks my map. Then trying to touch the screen to bring the map back can be aggravating while driving. I would love the option to just turn the pop ups off!

Seriously, this is the only issue I have. Otherwise, I love it and will continue to use every day.
Tod273
Send a message

Post by zzyzxuk
Perhaps it's just coincidence, but it seems to me that pop-ups are more likely to appear if I'm stationary, and not when I'm moving? If this is the case, I think that's a brilliant idea, as it's less distracting to the driver, but when I'm at a traffic light, or stuck in traffic, that's exactly the kind of information I want.

As for getting alerts that don't affect you geographically, it's good to remember that as the user-base grows, the alerts will become more tailored, as I'm fairly sure that it will just be giving you the 10 closest alerts, or something like that. At the moment, if there aren't other people near you, you'd get alerts from further away, but as more and more people are Wazing, the 10 closest will (hopefully) end up being folks who are just a few streets away from you.
zzyzxuk
Send a message