If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by gettingthere
dmcconachie wrote:Even if we limited ourselves to major roads, with the select entire road feature of papyrus it doesn't seem so daunting.

Just to reconfirm, I don't think it's feasible for other reasons listed above but let's make sure we push it down the priority list for the right reasons!
Yea, but the speed limit may not be the same on the entire road. Maybe it is there, but not here...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
dmcconachie wrote:Nope, same over here but you're being picky now! ;)
Damn straight! Speed limits would be more involved to maintain than commercial POI's! There are way more road segments that commercial businesses.

If someone from Waze is reading - how many road segments currently exist on the US/Canada server? Tens of millions?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
kenf3 wrote:Just allow users to report the location of Speed Limit signs. This would fit in easily with the current Reports function/icon.
The issue with this is that reports are temporary, speed limits are not. This would require significant re-work for Waze to enable in this manner.

In addition, many roads have different speed limits (city limits, curves, etc.). The Waze map is broken into segment, generally at intersections with other roads. Although this is not always the case since there tend to be loads of extra junctions in base-mapped countries.

Would you expect that if you report a speed limit that it's only valid on the particular segment where you are located? If so. this could mean having to hit the report button 10's or 100's of times in a several mile stretch of road.

How do you suggest speed limits get corrected if they are wrong. Newest report overwrites the previous speed limit?

How do we keep speed limit problems from being reported as a Map Issue / Update Request where the map editors get overloaded with reports of speed limit issues?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by goingnova
bgodette wrote:
fstyle wrote:Wouldn't be bad, except for one major problem, the map doesn't know anything about speed limits, only averages over each segment.
My Garmin Nuvi posts speed limits on the current road I am on, so I am sure it is possible to implement.
goingnova
Send a message
AWESOME for NY Traffic! Thank you Waze!

Post by harling
davipt wrote:
robin1979 wrote: Another misconception 8-). Torque does help you overpass, only power does (which, in an internal combustion engine, is a product of the torque and revolutions). Torque at the wheels is about the same between diesel and gasoline cars btw, thanks to wonderful things called transmissions.
Torque is exactly the "power" you mention. "power" has nothing to do with revolutions nor the common misconception of "horse power". Torque or binary is the only thing that matter.
Torque is a force. Power is a rate of force; i.e., torque per unit time, or torque times revolutions per unit time.

Greater torque at the driving wheels results in greater acceleration, given the same vehicle mass & tire diameter.

Given two engines, the one capable of greater peak power can always be geared such that it results in greater torque at the wheels; i.e., greater acceleration.

In practice, a lower-power engine with more available gears can approach the performance of a higher-power engine with fewer gears--but with comparable transmissions, using gear ratios suited to the two engines' power curves, the engine with the greater peak power output will out-accelerate the other.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
CBenson wrote:
unwallflower wrote:And then what happens when the speed limit of a particular segment is changed?
A wazer passing the road crew putting up the new sign enters an update request and the speed is changed by the crack area manager before the police have a change to park in the shade of the new sign. Isn't this how the world works?
Even assuming it works that way, rather than the way unwallflower describes, those changes go into effect only where there is an active AM who is also able to stay on top of the volume of URs in his area. In other areas, look at the average age of URs to see how long it would probably take for those updates to go into effect...
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jondrush
One of the questions we want to explore at Palo Alto is mass editing tools. Adding speed limits, would definitely be a perfect application for a mass editing tool.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kenf3
Just allow users to report the location of Speed Limit signs. This would fit in easily with the current Reports function/icon.

This would also address the road construction issue. And if you add an alert feature that compares the nearby speed limit signs to your current vehicle speed, include a setting to tweak when the alert pops up (0, +5mph, +10mph over limit).

Ken
kenf3
Send a message

Post by mdtrooper
not the speed that is usually the problem, it's either being distracted, inibriated, or inexperienced
:evil: Don't say that speed kills people, I can hit 150 in my racecar, and zip through traffic just fine, but i have to worry about all the other stupid divers that cut me off
mdtrooper
Send a message

Post by robin1979
fstyle wrote:It can motivate users to respect speed limits -> less accidents.
European studies have shown speed is never the primary reason for accidents, and in very few cases a secondary reason. The country with the highest or even no speedlimits (Germany) is the safest to drive in. Don't be brainwashed by governments who see speeding tickets as a nice source of secondary income 8-) .
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe