If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Timing of the Traffic Lights

Post by Hafbakd
I think it would be a great benefit if you can us the data of every time a waze stops at a Traffic Light you should be able to figure out the timing for all the Traffic lights. Then some how be able to tell us when the next light is going to change so we can adjust are speed of course slowing down to time the lights and save fuel. I would think you would be able to sell that kind of data to the traffic authorities so it would be a win win for all of us...
Hafbakd

POSTER_ID:4025573

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Usually, that speed is very close to the actual road speed limit.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You just need a strobe like the emergency vehicles do to get the light to change automatically as they approach. Illegal, but effective.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by argus-cronos
The idea is interresting but we have these sensors too. But i think this would lead us to discussions like: why waze tell me that i have to wait a minute, but i wait only 30 seconds!
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by Atlas85
But what's the use? Waze KNOWS the data you are looking for! If there is enough data, waze will split its statistics into smaller pieces. Traffic lights influence the average speed of a segment - so long waiting times give slower segments. When traffic density influences the traffic lights, the segment will show different speeds during the day. Which Waze takes in consideration too.
Atlas85
Send a message

Post by dknight212
How about top Wazers get priority at traffic lights?

David, using Tapatalk
dknight212
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
And valet parking at the end of the ride!
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by gettingthere
Don't know where you are driving, but in many places traffic lights are driven by road sensors and/or road sensors and timing vs. strictly timing.

And I would expect timing only could vary by day, time of day etc.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
mtel wrote:The use would be not having to stop at every red light. I thing that everyone has had it happen to them were you stop at the red light and a second later it turns green.
This behavior is often the result of road sensors not light timing. The light changes green when it senses that you are waiting.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by Hafbakd
Yes, On smaller streets they are driven by sensors but on main roadways they are timed and yes the timing changes on the time of day but that should be trackable?
Hafbakd
Send a message