If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Reporting map errors could benefit from voice recording

Post by wimg
When reporting a map error, usually you're driving and don't have the time to type a full description of what's wrong at the location you're at. It would be useful to be able to do voice recording (like when you report other things), so you can say things like "Turning from Main Street to Market Street is not allowed" or "The direction of Grand Street is the opposite : you can only drive from Main Street to Market Street, not the other way"

This would help area managers a lot, since we now usually get reports that say 'general error' or 'wrong directions', which doesn't help at all.

Just my 2 cents...
wimg

POSTER_ID:118642

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Just do a voice recording instead of text entry. You can convey a lot more information.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bgodette
gettingthere wrote:You can do this now if you have an iPhone 4S with Siri.
Yes, Apple has finally added something that's been on Android phones since at least 2009. :idea:
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
gettingthere wrote:
wimg wrote:So I suppose that feature is in 3.0 which hasn't been released for Android (although it was promised as 'very soon' upon release of 3.0 for iPhone)
No, it's not a Waze feature but an iOS 5 feature on iPhone 4S.
I presume just using Siri as a speech-to-text engine? In which case Android can already do this too.

Voice reports were mentioned at the meetup in Paris but Dror commented that there appeared to be a real reluctance to use the feature based on their usage data.

There are some nice plans afoot for error reporting, specifically being able to come back and fill the details later!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
And none of them (siri or a number of Android voice recognition services) understand my Scottish twang! :'(
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by gettingthere
You can do this now if you have an iPhone 4S with Siri.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
wimg wrote:So I suppose that feature is in 3.0 which hasn't been released for Android (although it was promised as 'very soon' upon release of 3.0 for iPhone)
No, it's not a Waze feature but an iOS 5 feature on iPhone 4S.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
bgodette wrote:Yes, Apple has finally added something that's been on Android phones since at least 2009. :idea:
Although I believe that Siri has additional functionality, not only voice input but able to respond to questions.

I don't have an iPhone 4S myself, so no first hand knowledge.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by wimg
So I suppose that feature is in 3.0 which hasn't been released for Android (although it was promised as 'very soon' upon release of 3.0 for iPhone)
wimg
Send a message