If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Low bandwidth maps

Post by crox84
Hi,
I'm a very new user and I like this application but the first thing I noticed was the lack of maps pre-loaded. The cost of the roaming data is to high and many people disable the data traffic when they are in roaming network. My question is: is possible to add a low resolution maps with the major route of every nation? I try another application called Swiss traffic that use this two maps version. One with google maps (precise), and another one with the low resolution maps pre-loaded. Please check this website to compare the maps.
http://www.swiss-traffic.com/index.php? ... 5ea3e1fba9

Best regards and sorry for my english.
crox84

POSTER_ID:4424981

Send a message

Post by crox84
Yes, I've activate this functionality (data compressione) and I agree with you about the data usage. But in my case, I can't use this software when I'm outside of my country because I've lock the data transfer in roaming. (I've access to the internet only with my phone operator). Generally I need the navigation software outside of my country. It could be helpfull to have a cache for the visited maps and for the information about traffic, speed camera, accident, and so on...
Regards.
crox84
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
Waze sends the map as sets of vectors - there is only one resolution possible, and that is the highest quality resolution. Because the maps are vectorized there is very little data involved, and Waze can be configured to reduce that amount further by using data-compression (which, I think, is not set by default).

I you are worried about data-usage, check (in the iPhone-version) the menu Settings/Advanced/Datatransfer. There you can see how much data Waze has sent/received since startup. Typical usage is less than 1 MB per hour if you are using the 2D-view. The 3D-view uses more because it looks "further" and hence, it needs mapdata up to the horizon.

There are currently no plans to improve the offline-map-caching-process that I am aware of.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1