If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

(Essential) Feature Request: Zones/Neighborhoods

Post by mfelaco
As it stands now, address searches on Waze are close to non-functional where area information is important to provide context. A way to delimit areas within a city is needed, or there is no way to distinguish between streets with the same name within a city. The current format is "street, city, country", and "street, area within city, city, country" is desired.

Specific example: If I need to know how to get to 5th street in a particular neighborhood in Caracas, I can't. The street in the map can be correctly marked, placed and named; but if there is a single other 5th street in the same city I have no way to distinguish between the ones returned in the search results. There are a lot of 5th streets ("Calle 5") in Caracas, not to mention any other numbered and even named streets. The neighborhood could be edited into the name of the street or into the city field, but that's confusing (the area is not a part of the name or the city) and implausible (without some official announcement, people will continue to correctly fill the name and city field with only the correct name and city).

Is there some way this could be added? Please? Pretty please?

Additional info:
Tested on the website and the Android 2.4.0.26 client.
Previously discussed here in Spanish, just to be sure I wasn't missing something.
mfelaco

POSTER_ID:3832514

Send a message
Nexus S running ICS/Android 4.0.3 - v2.9.99.114

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Waze 3 allows Google/Bing searches. Do these neighborhoods work in Google map searches?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There are a few threads about features in Waze 3 you could check out, as well as videos. Waze 3 reports search results from Google, Bing, Waze, Yelp, Foursquare and your address book.

Right now, however, there is one big problem with the Google/Bing search results I am trying to communicate to the beta team. (And it may directly affect your request here!). That is that full house address searches do not return results in Google or Bing. According to Perlin, this is by design. If that's true, this is terrible. I've been supplying them with addresses which don't return results for a couple weeks now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mfelaco wrote:If the Waze 3 client can use google maps results to guide places (when it's fixed), awesome. I'll just wait for the Android client.
Google and Bing searches work, but only reliably for business and subject searches. Specific house addresses appear to not work.
mfelaco wrote:Still, will Waze's own map be forever incomplete? Is this a known issue and there's no plan to add neighborhood info? Will address searches within Waze never work then? I guess I can live with the google maps workaround but it still feels kinda odd that I have to resort to that, not to mention I can't do it on the site... The ideal would be that both the Waze search works and the google maps search is allowed, IMHO.
It's hard to say what may happen. Some of this is my opinion: The issue at hand is that the Waze business model is to gather and sell traffic data and geotagged advertising. A road map and navigation to points is important to that, for sure. However, the next level of data being POIs, business addresses, home addresses, etc. is not nearly as important to Waze to have internally because other providers already have extensive databases of this information. If you can look something up in the other provider's database, but Waze can get you there, and provide some ads for local businesses as you drive by, then that's their drive. (Pun intended.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
We are in agreement that though the address filtering appears to be by design, the users consider it a bug which needs to be remedied.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Atlas85
fvwazing wrote:I personally named all the streets in some bigger cities just for the fun of it, but knowing that there ARE searchresults possible without naming everything thru sure makes it less fun and these days I prefer to do large areas where I only name 10-15% of the (bigger) roads.
I name all streets. Makes the map look a lot better when zoomed in and provides a better overview.
Atlas85
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
mfelaco wrote:I'm afraid a lot of people will give up on Waze if they have to edit whole cities just as a workaround for something as simple and basic for a map app as this...
Given that less than 1% (optimistic estimation) of Wazeusers turn into serious editors, anything that puts more load on their shoulders should be avoided. I personally named all the streets in some bigger cities just for the fun of it, but knowing that there ARE searchresults possible without naming everything thru sure makes it less fun and these days I prefer to do large areas where I only name 10-15% of the (bigger) roads.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

mfelaco
Send a message

Post by mfelaco
Sorry for the double post in advance, should have written this in the previous post.

Some questions:
Is the Google/Bing search on Waze 3 integrated into the Waze map? Could I do that search and have waze guide me there within its own map?
Will cartouche/waze maps be updated to provide that information? I'd understand if I only needed to wait for the new Android client to be ready, but it happens on the website too...

Also, posted on uservoice here.
mfelaco
Send a message

Post by mfelaco
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There are a few threads about features in Waze 3 you could check out, as well as videos. Waze 3 reports search results from Google, Bing, Waze, Yelp, Foursquare and your address book.

Right now, however, there is one big problem with the Google/Bing search results I am trying to communicate to the beta team. (And it may directly affect your request here!). That is that full house address searches do not return results in Google or Bing. According to Perlin, this is by design. If that's true, this is terrible. I've been supplying them with addresses which don't return results for a couple weeks now.
Ouch. It would certainly affect me, if google maps is the only way...

If the Waze 3 client can use google maps results to guide places (when it's fixed), awesome. I'll just wait for the Android client. Still, will Waze's own map be forever incomplete? Is this a known issue and there's no plan to add neighborhood info? Will address searches within Waze never work then? I guess I can live with the google maps workaround but it still feels kinda odd that I have to resort to that, not to mention I can't do it on the site... The ideal would be that both the Waze search works and the google maps search is allowed, IMHO.
mfelaco
Send a message