Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by mfelaco
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
mfelaco wrote:If the Waze 3 client can use google maps results to guide places (when it's fixed), awesome. I'll just wait for the Android client.
Google and Bing searches work, but only reliably for business and subject searches. Specific house addresses appear to not work.
Hence the "when it's fixed". I know it's by design, but I agree with you: they should provide the option, if only to increase the value of their own product instead of purposely crippling it.
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
mfelaco wrote:Still, will Waze's own map be forever incomplete? Is this a known issue and there's no plan to add neighborhood info? Will address searches within Waze never work then? I guess I can live with the google maps workaround but it still feels kinda odd that I have to resort to that, not to mention I can't do it on the site... The ideal would be that both the Waze search works and the google maps search is allowed, IMHO.
It's hard to say what may happen. Some of this is my opinion: The issue at hand is that the Waze business model is to gather and sell traffic data and geotagged advertising. A road map and navigation to points is important to that, for sure. However, the next level of data being POIs, business addresses, home addresses, etc. is not nearly as important to Waze to have internally because other providers already have extensive databases of this information. If you can look something up in the other provider's database, but Waze can get you there, and provide some ads for local businesses as you drive by, then that's their drive. (Pun intended.)
Hahaha...

And yeah I get their point of view, although I disagree with the specific choice of disallowing some google results. It's their prerogative, but if they want me to get the address results from Waze, address searches in Waze should work! I truly believe the neighborhood info to be essential in any map app.
mfelaco
Send a message
Nexus S running ICS/Android 4.0.3 - v2.9.99.114

Post by mfelaco
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:We are in agreement that though the address filtering appears to be by design, the users consider it a bug which needs to be remedied.
Indeed. But you do see the main issue of this thread though, right? Regardless of google maps, Waze address searches DON'T WORK, neighborhood info needs to be added to cartouche. The issue you brought up makes it worse to be sure, since they're denying a workaround; but the main issue remains: The Android Waze 2, the website, and I bet the Android 3 address searches are useless here. Is that acknowledged?
mfelaco
Send a message

Post by mfelaco
Sorry to bother, but is the design flaw acknowledged? I'm afraid a lot of people will give up on Waze if they have to edit whole cities just as a workaround for something as simple and basic for a map app as this... If acknowledged, what's their response about it? If not, what can I do to make the issue reach developer's ears/eyes?
mfelaco
Send a message

Post by mfelaco
Of course street should be named, but IMHO they shouldn't be named with something other than their name. No cramming of additional info as a workaround for map design flaws.
mfelaco
Send a message

Post by mfelaco
ANY answer at all? As a Christmas present? Please? :cry:
mfelaco
Send a message