If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by WeeeZer14
I'm not discounting your example at all. Just pointing out how crazy and confusing roads are in NJ :lol:
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
gettingthere wrote: If it's only one-way out and the toll has already been collected, it almost makes sense.
Actually, if you pass this rest area you will hit the toll plaza which ends a major toll-free section of the road and begins regular toll collection again. So you aren't cheating the toll, but it isn't an officially sanctioned flow of traffic either.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
Just to add to the "situations to think about", here is a toll plaza in Union NJ going from I-78 to the Garden State Parkway.

Lanes on the left go to the GSP North and you have to pay a toll. Lanes to the right go to the GSP South which has no toll for many miles and exits past this point.
union_tolls.jpg
(67.13 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
Just using this as an example of the drawback of landmarks to indicate tolls. If the editor is not careful, they could draw the landmark over some of the south-bound lanes and then the routing server would include that segment as tolled. Especially easy if there are inter-woven lanes/ramps and the editor is trying to draw the landmark to cover the entire toll plaza.

Yes it can easily be drawn correctly, but it can also easily be off ever so slightly.
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by yrrabsille
I think the Prompt option would be essential. I live in an area where there are a fair amount of tolls, but there are easy ways to avoid them. On my daily commute, I avoid them, but if I'm just running to Walmart or out for a day trip, I might go through them. If I have to go into settings every time I leave the house then it'll be more frustrating than it's worth.

One of the biggest problems with implementing this feature (and maybe it's already been mentioned here) is educating people on how to properly edit the map. A toll road is not a toll road until you've passed the "last exit before toll". Also, an on-ramp IS a toll road if it commits you to a toll with no way out.

If Waze is a "commuter app", then this feature (toll roads) is absolutely essential and needs to be implemented. But I would open it up in the editor long before the client can use the function as it will take time to make the changes on the map. It wouldn't be fair to enable the option in the client if the map isn't ready, as people would be guided through tolls when they expected the app to help them avoid them.
yrrabsille
Send a message