Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, Unholy

Re: Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

Postby bgodette » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:44 pm

krankyd wrote:Overall, if you're using this script to simply insert your data in a different way (automated instead of manual), there's nothing wrong with it. However, I'm not sure how much is gained... given you have to prepare the data for the script.
Assuming you insert the data manually to the script (as you're not copying / hacking any data), you still have to do some work to get the data into the script. If an editor finds a way to automatically insert data from an external source which is not allowed, we will be able and forced to remove it.

So if I'm understanding this, one could create an automation script that uses either Papyrus or Cartouche_old, and processes public domain GIS data to update country/state/street names, and possibly direction & turns, and this would be allowable?

If so, there is an advantage here, and time saved could be very large for the time spent in development.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:33 pm

I would hazard a guess that this utilises a source that prohibits this kind of use of their data! And if they don't you should give the source to waze so they can use the whole thing!

I'd recommend not using this tool and certainly not letting anyone else get their hands on it. Last year, Chile lost virtually their entire map after a copyright claim was filed against waze!
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Re: Re: Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

Postby dmcconachie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:50 pm

harling wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I would hazard a guess that this utilises a source that prohibits this kind of use of their data! And if they don't you should give the source to waze so they can use the whole thing!

I'd recommend not using this tool and certainly not letting anyone else get their hands on it. Last year, Chile lost virtually their entire map after a copyright claim was filed against waze!

...which is why I emphasized it's a good thing this didn't get past the mock-up stage to actual implementation.
(Work with me, Darren! :) )

Oh I was/am in agreement - just wanted to expand! :-)
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby gettingthere » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:30 pm

If you are in the United States, the 'safest' source of updated street name data is the local GIS database. Yes, maybe there are areas that are not covered...
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3, Waze 3.9
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:19 pm

bgodette wrote:So if I'm understanding this, one could create an automation script that uses either Papyrus or Cartouche_old, and processes public domain GIS data to update country/state/street names, and possibly direction & turns, and this would be allowable?

If so, there is an advantage here, and time saved could be very large for the time spent in development.

Although the GIS system(s) need to provide an API to access their data. In addition, this may not be scalable, useful to others since each government GIS system is likely to be different.

You have seen directionality and/or turn restrictions in GIS systems that you have used? I don't recall seeing layers for this in the few that I have used.
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3, Waze 3.9
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:33 pm

wimg wrote:Anyone know if there's any rule prohibiting automatic adding of names to streets, like the script in this video does (uses a certain map provider) :
http://vimeo.com/34192885

I'm guessing that it depends on the certain map provider's licensing model. Since the consequences could entail having to revert a huge of amount of data to basemap (or nothing) and starting over from scratch, I'm also guessing that Waze would prefer you not actually implement that feature* until their legal team says it's okay to do otherwise.

* It's a very nice demo, though. ;)
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:47 pm

dmcconachie wrote:I would hazard a guess that this utilises a source that prohibits this kind of use of their data! And if they don't you should give the source to waze so they can use the whole thing!

...which is why I emphasized it's a good thing this didn't get past the mock-up stage to actual implementation.
(Work with me, Darren! :) )
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

Postby harling » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:07 pm

dmcconachie wrote:
harling wrote:...which is why I emphasized it's a good thing this didn't get past the mock-up stage to actual implementation. (Work with me, Darren!)
Oh I was/am in agreement - just wanted to expand! :-)

So we are in accord that actually implementing such a mechanism, as clever and impressive as it would be, would probably be a bad idea; thus it is fortunate that this well-made video does not depict actual retrieval of data from another source for inclusion in the Waze road database. Because that would be Wrong.

Though it makes me wonder if the line between permitted and prohibited use is simply that the information needs to be processed by a human user. How many of us have opened a browser to another map source to see if someone else has the name of that unnamed road, or to a street view to see if the name on the sign is readable, or to use road signs to figure out turn restrictions or ramp names, without actually driving there? Does the fact that we are receiving and interpreting the data using the intended end-user interface, rather than bypassing the wetware, "sanitize" the information?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 am

gettingthere wrote:If you are in the United States, the 'safest' source of updated street name data is the local GIS database. Yes, maybe there are areas that are not covered...

What's the best way to access the GIS data?
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby krankyd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:20 am

Overall, if you're using this script to simply insert your data in a different way (automated instead of manual), there's nothing wrong with it. However, I'm not sure how much is gained... given you have to prepare the data for the script.
Assuming you insert the data manually to the script (as you're not copying / hacking any data), you still have to do some work to get the data into the script. If an editor finds a way to automatically insert data from an external source which is not allowed, we will be able and forced to remove it.
wazing like a hurricane
krankyd
Waze Team
Waze Team

Next

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests