Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderator: Unholy

Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

Postby wimg » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:12 pm

Anyone know if there's any rule prohibiting automatic adding of names to streets, like the script in this video does (uses a certain map provider) :
wimg

Re: Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

Postby harling » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:33 pm

wimg wrote:Anyone know if there's any rule prohibiting automatic adding of names to streets, like the script in this video does (uses a certain map provider) :

I'm guessing that it depends on the certain map provider's licensing model. Since the consequences could entail having to revert a huge of amount of data to basemap (or nothing) and starting over from scratch, I'm also guessing that Waze would prefer you not actually implement that feature* until their legal team says it's okay to do otherwise.

* It's a very nice demo, though. ;)
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby dmcconachie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:33 pm

I would hazard a guess that this utilises a source that prohibits this kind of use of their data! And if they don't you should give the source to waze so they can use the whole thing!

I'd recommend not using this tool and certainly not letting anyone else get their hands on it. Last year, Chile lost virtually their entire map after a copyright claim was filed against waze!
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby harling » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:47 pm

dmcconachie wrote:I would hazard a guess that this utilises a source that prohibits this kind of use of their data! And if they don't you should give the source to waze so they can use the whole thing!

I'd recommend not using this tool and certainly not letting anyone else get their hands on it. Last year, Chile lost virtually their entire map after a copyright claim was filed against waze!

...which is why I emphasized it's a good thing this didn't get past the mock-up stage to actual implementation.
(Work with me, Darren! :) )
harling

Re: Re: Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

Postby dmcconachie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:50 pm

harling wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I would hazard a guess that this utilises a source that prohibits this kind of use of their data! And if they don't you should give the source to waze so they can use the whole thing!

...which is why I emphasized it's a good thing this didn't get past the mock-up stage to actual implementation.
(Work with me, Darren! :) )

Oh I was/am in agreement - just wanted to expand! :-)
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Re: Re: Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

Postby harling » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:07 pm

dmcconachie wrote:
harling wrote:...which is why I emphasized it's a good thing this didn't get past the mock-up stage to actual implementation. (Work with me, Darren!)
Oh I was/am in agreement - just wanted to expand! :-)

So we are in accord that actually implementing such a mechanism, as clever and impressive as it would be, would probably be a bad idea; thus it is fortunate that this well-made video does not depict actual retrieval of data from another source for inclusion in the Waze road database. Because that would be Wrong.

Though it makes me wonder if the line between permitted and prohibited use is simply that the information needs to be processed by a human user. How many of us have opened a browser to another map source to see if someone else has the name of that unnamed road, or to a street view to see if the name on the sign is readable, or to use road signs to figure out turn restrictions or ramp names, without actually driving there? Does the fact that we are receiving and interpreting the data using the intended end-user interface, rather than bypassing the wetware, "sanitize" the information?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
harling

Postby wimg » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Ofcourse I had fed the coordinates in advance and scripted the whole process. What kind of copyright monster do you think I am ? ;-)

But your last message has a good point : what if I were to use Google Streetview to see what the name sign on a certain street is. Google could say the photos are copyrighted, but they can't copyright the street name and so me reading the street name, even through their copyrighted pictures, is not a copyright violation, I think.

I'm guessing in this case the map provider could probably suspend my access or account, but since it's me inserting information through the standard Waze interface, I don't think any information I contribute to Waze in this way, can be seen as a copyright violation on Waze's part.

Anyone from Waze want to comment on this ?
wimg

Postby gettingthere » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:30 pm

If you are in the United States, the 'safest' source of updated street name data is the local GIS database. Yes, maybe there are areas that are not covered...
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:28 pm

gettingthere wrote:If you are in the United States, the 'safest' source of updated street name data is the local GIS database. Yes, maybe there are areas that are not covered...

Safest and most reliable. Many times I find that all the commercial sources are wrong.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 am

gettingthere wrote:If you are in the United States, the 'safest' source of updated street name data is the local GIS database. Yes, maybe there are areas that are not covered...

What's the best way to access the GIS data?
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests