Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

Postby weeezer14 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:26 am

Based on Google, I'd say start here:

http://atlas.lsu.edu/
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby krankyd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:20 am

Overall, if you're using this script to simply insert your data in a different way (automated instead of manual), there's nothing wrong with it. However, I'm not sure how much is gained... given you have to prepare the data for the script.
Assuming you insert the data manually to the script (as you're not copying / hacking any data), you still have to do some work to get the data into the script. If an editor finds a way to automatically insert data from an external source which is not allowed, we will be able and forced to remove it.
wazing like a hurricane
krankyd
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby wimg » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:49 am

That's clear enough, thanks !
wimg

Postby bgodette » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:44 pm

krankyd wrote:Overall, if you're using this script to simply insert your data in a different way (automated instead of manual), there's nothing wrong with it. However, I'm not sure how much is gained... given you have to prepare the data for the script.
Assuming you insert the data manually to the script (as you're not copying / hacking any data), you still have to do some work to get the data into the script. If an editor finds a way to automatically insert data from an external source which is not allowed, we will be able and forced to remove it.

So if I'm understanding this, one could create an automation script that uses either Papyrus or Cartouche_old, and processes public domain GIS data to update country/state/street names, and possibly direction & turns, and this would be allowable?

If so, there is an advantage here, and time saved could be very large for the time spent in development.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:19 pm

bgodette wrote:So if I'm understanding this, one could create an automation script that uses either Papyrus or Cartouche_old, and processes public domain GIS data to update country/state/street names, and possibly direction & turns, and this would be allowable?

If so, there is an advantage here, and time saved could be very large for the time spent in development.

Although the GIS system(s) need to provide an API to access their data. In addition, this may not be scalable, useful to others since each government GIS system is likely to be different.

You have seen directionality and/or turn restrictions in GIS systems that you have used? I don't recall seeing layers for this in the few that I have used.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests