If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Automatic mapping - is this is allowed ?

Post by
Anyone know if there's any rule prohibiting automatic adding of names to streets, like the script in this video does (uses a certain map provider) :

POSTER_ID:118642

Send a message

Post by bgodette
krankyd wrote:Overall, if you're using this script to simply insert your data in a different way (automated instead of manual), there's nothing wrong with it. However, I'm not sure how much is gained... given you have to prepare the data for the script.
Assuming you insert the data manually to the script (as you're not copying / hacking any data), you still have to do some work to get the data into the script. If an editor finds a way to automatically insert data from an external source which is not allowed, we will be able and forced to remove it.
So if I'm understanding this, one could create an automation script that uses either Papyrus or Cartouche_old, and processes public domain GIS data to update country/state/street names, and possibly direction & turns, and this would be allowable?

If so, there is an advantage here, and time saved could be very large for the time spent in development.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I would hazard a guess that this utilises a source that prohibits this kind of use of their data! And if they don't you should give the source to waze so they can use the whole thing!

I'd recommend not using this tool and certainly not letting anyone else get their hands on it. Last year, Chile lost virtually their entire map after a copyright claim was filed against waze!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
harling wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I would hazard a guess that this utilises a source that prohibits this kind of use of their data! And if they don't you should give the source to waze so they can use the whole thing!

I'd recommend not using this tool and certainly not letting anyone else get their hands on it. Last year, Chile lost virtually their entire map after a copyright claim was filed against waze!
...which is why I emphasized it's a good thing this didn't get past the mock-up stage to actual implementation.
(Work with me, Darren! :) )
Oh I was/am in agreement - just wanted to expand! :-)
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by gettingthere
If you are in the United States, the 'safest' source of updated street name data is the local GIS database. Yes, maybe there are areas that are not covered...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
bgodette wrote:So if I'm understanding this, one could create an automation script that uses either Papyrus or Cartouche_old, and processes public domain GIS data to update country/state/street names, and possibly direction & turns, and this would be allowable?

If so, there is an advantage here, and time saved could be very large for the time spent in development.
Although the GIS system(s) need to provide an API to access their data. In addition, this may not be scalable, useful to others since each government GIS system is likely to be different.

You have seen directionality and/or turn restrictions in GIS systems that you have used? I don't recall seeing layers for this in the few that I have used.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by harling
wimg wrote:Anyone know if there's any rule prohibiting automatic adding of names to streets, like the script in this video does (uses a certain map provider) :
I'm guessing that it depends on the certain map provider's licensing model. Since the consequences could entail having to revert a huge of amount of data to basemap (or nothing) and starting over from scratch, I'm also guessing that Waze would prefer you not actually implement that feature* until their legal team says it's okay to do otherwise.

* It's a very nice demo, though. ;)
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
dmcconachie wrote:I would hazard a guess that this utilises a source that prohibits this kind of use of their data! And if they don't you should give the source to waze so they can use the whole thing!

...which is why I emphasized it's a good thing this didn't get past the mock-up stage to actual implementation.
(Work with me, Darren! :) )
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
dmcconachie wrote:
harling wrote:...which is why I emphasized it's a good thing this didn't get past the mock-up stage to actual implementation. (Work with me, Darren!)
Oh I was/am in agreement - just wanted to expand! :-)
So we are in accord that actually implementing such a mechanism, as clever and impressive as it would be, would probably be a bad idea; thus it is fortunate that this well-made video does not depict actual retrieval of data from another source for inclusion in the Waze road database. Because that would be Wrong.

Though it makes me wonder if the line between permitted and prohibited use is simply that the information needs to be processed by a human user. How many of us have opened a browser to another map source to see if someone else has the name of that unnamed road, or to a street view to see if the name on the sign is readable, or to use road signs to figure out turn restrictions or ramp names, without actually driving there? Does the fact that we are receiving and interpreting the data using the intended end-user interface, rather than bypassing the wetware, "sanitize" the information?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
harling
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
gettingthere wrote:If you are in the United States, the 'safest' source of updated street name data is the local GIS database. Yes, maybe there are areas that are not covered...
What's the best way to access the GIS data?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by krankyd
Overall, if you're using this script to simply insert your data in a different way (automated instead of manual), there's nothing wrong with it. However, I'm not sure how much is gained... given you have to prepare the data for the script.
Assuming you insert the data manually to the script (as you're not copying / hacking any data), you still have to do some work to get the data into the script. If an editor finds a way to automatically insert data from an external source which is not allowed, we will be able and forced to remove it.
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane