If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Phone Calls

Post by David_M
Is it possible to have Waze prompt the user to continue navigation when a phone call is received? I'm finding it hard to have a conversation with Waze speaking in the background... There should be a prompt on the screen or something when the iphone accepts a call. Just a suggestion
David_M

POSTER_ID:4899741

Send a message

Post by David_M
I have an aftermarket stereo where my iphone is connected via the dock connector to listen to the ipod/pandora/movies, and it accepts phone calls via bluetooth. When a call comes in, the call is routed to Bluetooth for my conversation, but Waze keeps using the dock connector to output it's audio at the same level... So its like I'm hearing Waze at the same volume as my conversation.

I would think that there would be an API that Waze could use that if the phone API is in use, then it uses a Waze phone volume slider via settings (that I could set at 0-100% based on what I wanted) so the navigation still plays but is lower.... I mean if I miss a turn because I didn't hear it, then Waze will just recalculate... isn't that the beauty of it?
David_M
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
This is by design that Waze will continue to navigate for you when you are on a call. It would be very nice if Waze gave an option in the settings on how to handle this:

1. Continue to give navigation instructions, at a lower volume level (current method)
2. Mute navigation instructions when on a phone call

If they don't give an option, if they do only one of the above, someone will be dissatisfied.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
jasonh300 wrote:Anyway, back to the real world...I noticed on my iPhone that if I have the earbuds plugged into it and I'm on a call, the Waze navigation plays through the phone speaker and not the earbuds. Since the volume of the navigation is already pretty low, it's not that distracting. (Waze wouldn't play through the earbuds, even if I wasn't on the phone.)
Yes, forgot about this. There is a setting 'Always play sound to phone speaker' (may depend on platform and version) which needs to be set to on to enable this to work as described.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jasonh300
You can get Waze to stop navigating when you get a call. You pull over to the side of the road until you get off the phone call! :lol:

Anyway, back to the real world...I noticed on my iPhone that if I have the earbuds plugged into it and I'm on a call, the Waze navigation plays through the phone speaker and not the earbuds. Since the volume of the navigation is already pretty low, it's not that distracting. (Waze wouldn't play through the earbuds, even if I wasn't on the phone.)

I don't know how this works out with bluetooth, or with other platforms.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
On a Bluetooth connection, when I am on a call, navigation instructions come loudly through the Bluetooth connection, typically drowning out the call.

nb: I don't have "Always play sound through phone speaker" enabled. I like navigation instructions to play along with the music playing via USB. It'd be nice to have an option to play navigation prompts over audio sources but not over Bluetooth headset/handsfree profiles.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!