If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Waze firmware for Garmin and TomTom

Post by justjeepin
I love Waze but would love a dedicated Waze GPS unit separate from my smartphone.

How about a Waze firmware that would REPLACE the firmware on your Garmin or TomTom GPS? Traffic info and reports could be done via bluetooth with your smartphone.
justjeepin

POSTER_ID:8315

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Related, but today at CES Pioneer's AppRadio2 features Waze in an embedded Android-based in-dash unit.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by gettingthere
Likely this is not possible since these stand alone PND's (Portable Navigation Devices) are proprietary hardware designs. Waze is an application that requires an operating system such as iOS or Android (and some legacy platforms that Waze has abandoned development for) to function. So unless the PND hardware is capable to be hacked to run Android, this is currently not possible.

The stand alone PND market is shifting away from dedicated devices to the exact model that Waze is using - an application that runs on a SmartPhone. It is highly unlikely that Waze would want to enter a market of producing a stand alone PND when that market is in decline.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
justjeepin wrote:The problem is... is smartphone gpses are horrible for traveling for any lengthy time. The smartphone gets VERY hot, battery drains quickly unless you've got it plugged it, map display disappears when you've temporarily lost a data signal, etc.
Similar issues with stand alone PND's:

* They need to be plugged in if you are going to navigate for any extended trip, otherwise the battery drains rapidly
* Many get quite warm/hot as they are consuming energy and recharging the battery
* PND's take some time to lock on Satellite signals, unless they have some extra software layer to estimate position until they get a lock. SmartPhone's also use WiFi AP history, cellular estimation, etc. to estimate position.
* Recent SmartPhone's have fairly accurate GPS chips. Eg. iPhone 4 and 4S has a better chip than iPhone 3GS.

If your concern is not being to do all navigation functions without a data connection - that is another issue. Waze is designed to be used with a constant data connection. This is required for loading maps (yes, it does do some caching - map does not generally disappear when losing data connection for a short time), submitting reports, traffic updates, automated routing around traffic, etc. If you need an application that has on-board maps and will work without a data connection there are other application solutions - including those from the vendors that you have mentioned.

I don't know if this is your case, but if you are using a SmartPhone for navigation, you should consider some type of appropriate car mount and vehicle charger. It's not fair to compare a standalone PND that comes with vehicle mount and charger to a SmartPhone without the proper accessories. SmartPhone's are basically several hundred dollar pocket computers (the real cost, not the carrier subsidized cost). Invest the additional $20 - $100 to get a proper vehicle mount and vehicle charger.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
FWIW, I don't work for Waze and it's totally withing your rights to post your thoughts and suggestions here. I don't know for sure what Waze is thinking. The above is my opinion on the matter.

Also, there was a previous effort by a company called Dash that provided a stand along PND with a traffic model similar to Waze. The users generated the traffic info by driving with the Dash GPS running. Needless to say they are no longer around - maybe because they focused on the PND vs. the SmartPhone and Application model that Waze has adopted.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
justjeepin wrote:My Garmin doesn't get hot like my iPhone 4 does..
If this concerns you, you may want to look into a mounting solution where you can mount in from of your dash vents and blow cool air onto your iPhone. But in any case, just because the iPhone is feels hot to the touch doesn't mean that it is running out of specification or a danger to your iPhone. The iPhone has a built in thermal sensor and will power down if it is getting too hot.

And to your point regarding having items in your vehicle that are attractive to thieves, that is a benefit of using your SmartPhone as a GPS device. You take it with you and you don't leave behind a PND to get stolen.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by justjeepin
The problem is... is smartphone gpses are horrible for traveling for any lengthy time. The smartphone gets VERY hot, battery drains quickly unless you've got it plugged it, map display disappears when you've temporarily lost a data signal, etc.
justjeepin
Send a message

Post by justjeepin
It was just an idea. My Garmin doesn't get hot like my iPhone 4 does but the Garmin traffic is horrible compared to Waze. That's a reason why I wished Waze could be loaded onto a GPS unit.

I did see that announcement about Waze and the Pioneer AppRadio2 and it sounds enticing but it would also be enticing to a thief and driving a Jeep you can't lock it up.

Oh well, I'll stick to Waze for local and Garmin for long trips.
justjeepin
Send a message

Post by VicH
I was always skeptical of a vent mount for no really good reason.
was on a trip over tve weekend with my android which started getting hot with gps on and charger plugged in, lossing charge fast.
Stopped to fuel, saw a vent holder and purchased one.
smartest thing i've done, mount kept phone cool and charge eent up to 100% and never dropped
purchased themodel with a narrow back and sticky button. Provided great cooling.
VicH
Send a message