Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Searching Functionality

Post by ariesboy475
Your app should connect to the contacts of the phone. This will allow us to scroll/search through users for their address for navigation. A nice to have option would be to retain the selected contact's info for a quick call to say "hey i'm 5 min away, i'll see u soon" or a quick text. Whether these functions are performed by the default app or something you build.
ariesboy475

POSTER_ID:79

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
falkens wrote:What happened on this issue?
It has been a basic part of functionality since v2.x.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Asheyna
Yes, this was the first thing I looked for. The ability to pull an address from my contacts is, imho, a key feature of this program and I was really sorry to see it didn't have that.

The extras, like bonus cupcakes, etc are nice... but the ability to navigate to a contact's address is to me the whole reason to using a program like this.
Asheyna
Send a message

Post by eshabtai
We do plan an integration with the contacts on the phone in the future but currently we are still focused on polishing the basic functionality.

Taking one more step on your suggestion we could implement an automatic texting functionality. So if you chose to navigate to a contact we can create an automatic text message as you suggested: "hey i'm 5 min away, i'll see u soon". Since the ETA can be calculated by Waze we create the whole message automatically and send it upon request.
eshabtai
Send a message

Post by falkens
What happened on this issue?
falkens
Send a message
// Jonas Falk
- Sweden -

Post by gettingthere
mishras wrote:They all have the capability to pull destination address (or Origin Address) from the Phone's Contact address book... This is and should be the prime feature of Navigation - Need to know my destination before I start driving...just a thought. any other extras after that is a bonus feature that will help you retain your current users...thnx.
As previously stated, Waze DOES this now.

Click on Navigate.
Enter a name or partial name from your address book.
The result will show on the Contact tab - one of the search result 'providers'.
Click on the result and Waze will do a lookup on the address and set a route.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by mishras
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
falkens wrote:What happened on this issue?
It has been a basic part of functionality since v2.x.
I use "Telenav", "AT&T Nav" and "Google Nav"... They all have the capability to pull destination address (or Origin Address) from the Phone's Contact address book... This is and should be the prime feature of Navigation - Need to know my destination before I start driving...just a thought. any other extras after that is a bonus feature that will help you retain your current users...thnx.

I use:
AT&T BB 4G
AT&T Samsung Skyrocket 4G
mishras
Send a message

Post by Spil
You can also start from your Contacts list ... when viewing the contact, click the photo, and you should get several option icons, including the Waze icon for navigating to that contact's address. :)
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png