Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

School zone & etc

Post by onezerosix141
This probably got brought up few times but I'm going to bring it up anyway :p

Just the other day I was routed through school zone & followed by funeral speed reduction zone. I was going to report this but really didn't have any options but to just let it go.

I was wondering these things that may cause small traffic congestion can be reported other than "moderate traffic jam".

And the other thing I was wondering was choice for weather. Sleet & black ice. Another is rain of heavy, medium, sprinkle. It may be nice to know how rain visibility is affected.

Have a good one! ^_^
onezerosix141

POSTER_ID:3597160

Send a message

Post by gordonski
R4CLucky14 wrote:
Around here, school signs either have flashing lights when it's in effect, or it's when children are present (and, I heard (never looked it up), that time-based school zones technically aren't. It can only be enforced when children are present or when they have some indication it's in effect. Again, never looked it up...so listen at your own risk lol)

EDIT: It was my understanding Waze retained data for time of day, and I suspect day of week (saturday is obviously different from monday).
Around here (Germany) we do have time-base school zones, which are indicated by a school-zone sign, a speed-limit sign (usually 30km/h), in many cases a sign showing the active hours, e.g. Mon.-Fri. 08:00-14:00 and often another sign given the distance for which the limit is in effect (e.g. 500m). No flashing lights, and in the given times the speed-limit is even active during holidays when no children are around.
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by jasonm128
Most of the schools zones I'm familiar with have default speed limit and a lower limit during certain times of day. If Waze ever adds time-based restrictions then I wouldn't mind seeing school zones that give you a warning when you approach them during the reduced-speed-limit times. I always find myself trying to read the tiny print on the sign and then looking at the clock and trying to figure out if there's an overlap.
jasonm128
Send a message
Area Manager : NW Suburbs of Boston, MA
HTC Droid DNA - Android 4.4.2 - Verizon
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by onezerosix141
I would like to see school zone thing added. And when I posted, I didn't think about different types of school zones lol.
IF this could get implemented, how? Something like "pave new road" option for the length/distance marked as school zone? And have some what of default set times?
onezerosix141
Send a message

Post by R4CLucky14
jasonm128 wrote:Most of the schools zones I'm familiar with have default speed limit and a lower limit during certain times of day. If Waze ever adds time-based restrictions then I wouldn't mind seeing school zones that give you a warning when you approach them during the reduced-speed-limit times. I always find myself trying to read the tiny print on the sign and then looking at the clock and trying to figure out if there's an overlap.
Around here, school signs either have flashing lights when it's in effect, or it's when children are present (and, I heard (never looked it up), that time-based school zones technically aren't. It can only be enforced when children are present or when they have some indication it's in effect. Again, never looked it up...so listen at your own risk lol)

EDIT: It was my understanding Waze retained data for time of day, and I suspect day of week (saturday is obviously different from monday).
R4CLucky14
Send a message
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.

Post by shrike1978
The system should eventually learn school zones. If they are driven frequently enough, the system will automatically detect that traffic moves more slowly during certain times of the day and update its routing accordingly. For funeral zones, if it's always there, it will be the same as a school zone, if it's transient, it's best to treat it as a normal jam because for all intents and purposes, that's what it is.
shrike1978
Send a message