If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Directions? Less voice guide? Calendar integration?

Post by johnisalwaysdriving
I have enjoyed using Waze so far but I am still getting used to it. I have been using the GPS that was preinstalled on my android phone, which has always worked very well for me (but it has no community interaction). So, I am hopeful that Waze proves worthy.
My thoughts and suggestions would be:

1. Have a visible directions list page once navigation is started. Because I know the area in which I travel, a directions page would be very useful, so I don't have to guess where I am headed, or have to zoom out on my map, focus on my destination, zoom back in, and locate where I am headed. If I read correctly in other's posts, this looks like it may be coming in a future update for android. Is this correct? Does anyone know a potential release date?

2. It could be useful if there was a way to integrate your calendar (example gmail calendar) with Waze, so appointments would come up on your phone as a reminder and if the address is available, even offer to start the navigation. Would this even be possible? I don't know.

3. Have a fourth option on the voice guidance option. Currrently there is an option for full or minimal. I thought I would be happy with the minimal guidance, but it is still too much. I would like an option of having the voice to tell me one time for each turn. I don't need it to tell me to turn in a half mile, then 1/4 mile, then .1 miles, and finally to turn. (not sure exactly how many times I am informed, this is just an example). It would be nice for voice guidance to have the option of stating "next turn in ___ miles at "Name of Road".

4. There may be a way to do this, but I have not found it: Is there a way to make yourself hidden? I find that I am turning Waze off several miles before arriving home. I would worry that if Waze users were able to determine each other's identity, they could navigate straight to a person's house. Or if someone was "stalking" or mad at another member. Since you have the ability to communicate with one another, at some point, someone is going to make someone else upset. I suppose I need to read the privacy section to see what Waze has to say on this subject.

That's all for now. Any responses to any of the questions would be helpful.
johnisalwaysdriving

POSTER_ID:5935165

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Calendar integration is on the roadmap. Don't look for it any time soon, though.

Minimal vs. Full only means spoken street names (full) or not (minimal). There isn't the ability to customize the distances from the turn to give turn warnings and instructions. You will get at most 3 and at different distances depending on speed.

You can show anonymous under Settings/My Waze/Profile. Wazers are never shown on the map in the app where they really are. It's delayed 2-5 minutes. The ability to track someone to their home is difficult, though you are not unreasonable in turning off waze prior to arriving, but several miles is a bit much. A 1/2 mile, unless yours is the only house around for miles, would be fine.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Spil
Welcome to the forum, Johnny! :D
johnnyf5 wrote:1. Have a visible directions list page once navigation is started. ... If I read correctly in other's posts, this looks like it may be coming in a future update for android. Is this correct? Does anyone know a potential release date?
Yes, you read correctly. This feature is currently back in the iPhone version and is supposed to be back in the next Android version (which has not yet gone to beta-test stage).
johnnyf5 wrote:4. There may be a way to do this, but I have not found it: Is there a way to make yourself hidden? I find that I am turning Waze off several miles before arriving home. I would worry that if Waze users were able to determine each other's identity, they could navigate straight to a person's house. Or if someone was "stalking" or mad at another member. Since you have the ability to communicate with one another, at some point, someone is going to make someone else upset. I suppose I need to read the privacy section to see what Waze has to say on this subject.
You can choose to be "anonymous" and also choose to not allow "pings" from other Wazers. Any other Wazers that you see on-screen are not shown exactly where they are now, but where they were at some time in the recent past. Additionally, the beginning and ending parts of your trips are not recorded, so this prevents you from appearing (on someone else's screen) at your house, workplace, etc.
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png