If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Reward for driving through a traffic jam

Post by foxitrot
One of the Waze's main goals is to save its users from being smashed into a traffic jam, rather navigated around it (whenever possible and useful). But there is a small catch22 - it is not possible to detect a traffic jam unless someone discovers it by driving through, and it is not possible to tell "'there' is no traffic jam anymore", unless someone drives through.

After paving a new road (especially by the client, using the "steamroller", but also by an editor, using the web application), it is necessary to drive along this road, to confirm its existence for the system. Because it is important, the confirmation drives are rewarded by the system using the 'cookie munching' concept.

I believe that, because of its importance, driving through a traffic jam should be rewarded (or recompensed?) as well, slightly better than simple driving through existing 'clean' roads. Each drive, which 'creates' a traffic jam, that will get confirmed later by someone else's driving through; and each drive through an 'existing' traffic jam (regardless of whether it gets confirmed once more, or cleared thereafter).

On the INTL server, 'online' driving on existing roads is rewarded by 3.2 points per km (for confirming the roads existence, and also reporting the existing traffic situation there, including the vital speed data). I've found out, that, formerly, the 'offline' driving on existing roads has been rewarded by 1.6 points per km (I suppose because no useful traffic information got reported, just the existence of the driven roads and the speed profile with a substantial delay). Driving through a traffic jam might be rewarded similarly better, by 4.8 points per km, or equivalently (approx. 7.725 points per mile?) on the NA server.

-----
If you consider this idea worth your vote - here you are: http://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59225- ... raffic-jam
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:2623091

Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by Dantoniov
Got my vote, it would definitely encourage reporting by unlucky wazers :)
Dantoniov
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
gettingthere wrote:But do you really think Wazers would be willing to wait in traffic to get extra points when one of the main points of Waze is to avoid traffic?
:) Off course not! Thus also my question "(or recompensed?)".
gettingthere wrote:An alternative approach would be for Waze to partner with some well known traffic providers [...] "If you give us your traffic data we will give you ours." Then Waze could benefit from other sources of data such as in-road sensors, event data, accident data, and other sources of information that a traffic provider like Inrix consolidates. And Inrix could get more data on traffic from Wazers. Win-win and no need for Wazers to sit in traffic jams just so Waze has the data.
Sure, joining the forces (err, data) together would indeed be a win-win. But still, someone will be sitting there, willing or not...
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
harling wrote:This idea was brought up a while ago.
A good thread. I've not read it yet, at the times I've been just maturing from a baby wazer :D
harling wrote:Who would be willing to drive into a traffic jam in order to get the bonus points for detecting the jam? Whoever decides he can afford to exchange the time for the points!
Off course noone! Thus I'm thinking of changing all "reward" words in my initial post (and title) into "compensation" :)
harling wrote:(The actual points might be a function of the total number of minutes saved by all drivers who were rerouted to avoid the traffic. Just a thought.)
Well, then I can imagine a lot of kamikaze wazers, smashing themselves into jams :lol:

If the HQ would accept the idea, it could be taken under scope and refined, sure.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Interesting suggestion/idea. But do you really think Wazers would be willing to wait in traffic to get extra points when one of the main points of Waze is to avoid traffic? Seems like a bit of a tough sell.

An alternative approach would be for Waze to partner with some well known traffic providers (there may be different leaders in different parts of the world). For example maybe they could partner with someone like Inrix in the USA. If you give us your traffic data we will give you ours. Then Waze could benefit from other sources of data such as in-road sensors, event data, accident data, and other sources of information that a traffic provider like Inrix consolidates. And Inrix could get more data on traffic from Wazers. Win-win and no need for Wazers to sit in traffic jams just so Waze has the data.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
foxitrot wrote:Sure, joining the forces (err, data) together would indeed be a win-win. But still, someone will be sitting there, willing or not...
Well traffic doesn't get created or exist unless people are sitting in it. There is no way to avoid traffic entirely unless accidents are eliminated, something more accurate than a human is in control of the car, and where there is excess capacity on all of the roads.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by harling
This idea was brought up a while ago. Who would be willing to drive into a traffic jam in order to get the bonus points for detecting the jam? Whoever decides he can afford to exchange the time for the points! (The actual points might be a function of the total number of minutes saved by all drivers who were rerouted to avoid the traffic. Just a thought.)

The challenge for Waze would be to differentiate between being stuck in traffic, and parking at the side of the road. If there are enough Wazers in the area, corroboration would be available in the form of others being stopped in the same area around the same time. That means that people in sparsely-Wazed areas might not get credit. But since traffic tends to happen most where there are a lot of cars :D , perhaps that isn't a big issue. A Wazer who detects a jam on a road that nobody else uses isn't really performing a service to the greater community.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.