If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

No Cop

Post by keepitmovin
For spots that police frequent it would be nice to have an option to report "No Police". I suggest this since you can't assume if nobody reported it they are not there.

To clarify this is not for when someone says there was police and now there is not. This is for when there is no report at all and you want to report there is no police there.
keepitmovin

POSTER_ID:2910036

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
keepitmovin wrote:This is for when there is no report at all and you want to report there is no police there.
I cannot fathom the purpose to report something ISN'T there.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by gettingthere
I agree that there is really no benefit to have a 'no cop' report.

With that said, I think there is a benefit to know how long ago the last Wazer passed through the route that you are currently on. This would be useful to judge no only if a cop could not be on the route since the last Wazer passed (this assumes that all Wazers report police when they see them) but whether the traffic data may be stale or not up to date.

The was another recent thread regarding Waze showing road segments as green if they have no traffic. It could be valuable if Waze would do this - but only if a Wazer passed through these particular segments within maybe 10 or 15 minutes and the data is current.

So road colors:

* No color - no known jams. No Wazer has driven the segment in > 10 or 15 minutes.
* Green - no known jams (if traffic is flowing at or around the average road speed for that time of day) and a Wazer has driven the segment in < 10 or 15 minutes.
* Yellow, Orange, Red, Dark Red - as they work now for jam reporting. Expire these if not driven by another Wazer in 10 or 15 minutes. I am not sure what the expiration time is on jams currently...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by keepitmovin
Well i respect your opinions. perhaps were you guys live it doesn't make sense. i also did not mean to mark every inch with "no Cop" just the spots where they hang out.

My point is this: if you don't see police reported according to you guys you would say they are not there since if they were they would have been reported. But what if they police are there but no wazers reported them / have driven by that road recently? The end user has no way of knowing. However with the "No Cop" i know a wazer recently went by and the info is the latest.

Also, you can't always rely on people to report something that is there but maybe certain people would be inclined to inform people what is not.
keepitmovin
Send a message

Post by mikecash
I'd hate to get a ticket because some stranger failed to spot a cop. A report of police presence has at least some value, while a report of police absence has none whatsoever.
mikecash
Send a message

Post by mikecash
Report of cops: they may or may not still be there when you get there.

Report of no cops: they may or may not be there when reported. They may or may not still not be there when you get there.

It's a corollary to the old "you can't prove a negative".

A report of "no cops" is inherently unreliable and hence of no practical value.
mikecash
Send a message

Post by Spil
It wouldn't help travelers, although it might have "some" value to local drivers ... but not much, since local drivers already know the spots where the troopers like to camp out and are inclined to obey the speed limit (or at least get down somewhere close to it) when passing those spots ... so I agree with the others above -- this would be just another worthless "feature" that would do nothing but clutter up the screen and bog down the system.
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by zeo_hound
Are you on a wanted chart? lol
If there is no police, there will be no icon. If there is, just report. Why complicate ?
zeo_hound
Send a message