Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Lane under water

Post by outdoordad
This would be very helpful up in the Pacific Northwest of the US.
Every winter, I have to reroute periodically due to lanes partially or fully under water. Sometimes intersections are under water because leaves have blocked the gutters from draining - sometimes, it's underpasses or low areas near farmer's feilds. When your clipping along at speed on a two-lane road, with oncoming traffic and suddenly have 1/2 your lane under 3-6 inches of water... not fun for little cars... fun in a Jeep though.
outdoordad

POSTER_ID:5956697

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Currently, there is no way to "close" a route in a short timeframe due to standing water/flooded roadways. You can, just as with ice, report a flooded road with voice commands on iOS in the US/Canada. The next couple of days in the PNW may have a lot of these as the constant rain this week has triggered flood watches.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by outdoordad
In the rural areas, we will have several weeks were roads are under water. This one caught me this weekend. Waze could not route me around it... it kept looping me back to the same intersection. I had to pull out an old school hard copy map to figure my way out. Had I known the area was flooded, I wouldn't have taken the 'shortest route'.

http://i43.tinypic.com/20068gx.jpg
outdoordad
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
There is a road near me that floods basically any time it rains more than a half inch in a 24 hour period. Then the road is under water for anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. And it is one of the main approaches to the Knoxville Zoo, so lots of people may want to go this way.

It is even flooded in the Google aerial images of the area (wait for the page to load and it should rotate the view).

And actually Bing shows it under water as well (well part under water -- it is on an image seam and it is wet in one and dry in the other).

Currently it is impossible to keep it current in Waze. If it floods, by the time the map updates it is dry again. And then if you set the road as open in Waze, by the time that update hits, it rained again and the road is flooded.

I am tempted to make this a dirt road or a parking lot road at this point.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator