If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Detour button

Post by outdoordad
I would love to have a detour button. One that would find a local way around an area instead of rerouting me back to the same intersection. Probably a logistical/programming nightmare but it would be nice to have a button that would figure out a NEW route circumventing the current path for a mile/kilometer and then back on to the destination.
outdoordad

POSTER_ID:5956697

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:The routes button often doesn't give any alternatives.
In general or are you meaning for the OP specifically in this case?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by gettingthere
I assume you have tried the routes button and a reasonable alternative route was not given?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jasonh300
The routes button often doesn't give any alternatives.

On my Garmin, the Detour button would eliminate the next step of the route as a possibility and recalculate based on that part of the route being impassible.

This is what Waze needs.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
I mean that every time I had Waze route me a way I didn't want to go and I hit the Routes button, there was no alternative.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by outdoordad
gettingthere wrote:I assume you have tried the routes button and a reasonable alternative route was not given?
Correct. More often than not, it will not give me another option - even though I know that there are neighboring street which are viable. The best example I've had was a couple weekends ago. I was in an area that had flooded. I turned at the flooded junction and headed parallel to it. When I pushed reroute, the program made a large loop back around to that very intersection. There were three side roads I could have taken along the new loop which would connect me back to my destination... and in a faster and shorter reroute.

I had dirt roads turned on. I tired avoid HWYs and switching between fastest and shortest routes. All options led me back to the flooded intersection.

The native app on my droid incredible will start rerouting from scratch and look at a variety of shortcuts to get me there. This is nice because, if pressed for time and in traffic, the closer I get to my destination the more refined my reroute searches become. I really like the layout and features of WAZE and am trying to give it a go for all my nav needs. It's getting better and just needs a few tweaks.
outdoordad
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Well currently, routes is what you are technically looking for, but do to either your destination puts you in the long route code (Use highway/freeway at all cost except near the ends of the trip) or the alternatives just aren't showing up as significantly better. (Map issues, no speed data, traffic data hasn't caught up with real world yet as you are the first one there).

I could go for an option though, that would tell the routing server. I want an alternate route, that doesn't use the road I'm currently on, for a "1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5 miles, etc.").

But this logic goes against the intended design, which is, Waze knows better :)
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by Spil
jasonh300 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
I mean that every time I had Waze route me a way I didn't want to go and I hit the Routes button, there was no alternative.
I've only started seeing alternative routes in my area in the last month or so, out of six months of using Waze a lot. Of course, there aren't a whole lot of similar options in my rural area (can't just skip over a block and continue another 30 blocks in the same direction, etc.), so that may have something to do with it.
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by whatever2015
yes a detour button would be nice.
my magellan has that. avoid the next 3, 5, or 9 miles.

in the mean time, what you can do is just drive off your route and let waze recalculate a route for you.

one time, i missed a turn and said oh well (before I used waze, i was using my magellan). i didn't want to get back on the freeway. So I just used the gps compass direction to know I was heading "south" which is toward home.

I ended up discovering a new route home that wasn't full of traffic at all.

I have yet to have waze or magellan give me that road / route I was on as an alternate route though.
whatever2015
Send a message