Abilities you'd like to see

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderator: Unholy

When you live in a smaller city or town...

Postby B564377 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:59 pm

I love Waze.

Using it in a smaller city, however, has it's challenges. Here are just a couple, even when Anonymous is turned on:

- It's easy for someone to know who you are and where you live, when you're home or not, etc. over time.
- Events, such as construction or accidents disappear/timeout too quickly

I'd like to suggest two features:

1) Add the option, "Don't display your current location to other Waze users if within [ x ] km of your home and work address (as stored in Waze)"
2) Set the timeout values for events higher in smaller cities, or even better, in cities that have fewer reports. In a city like Toronto, 10 minutes might be fine, in a city like Woodstock, Ontario, 60-90 minutes would be better.

I'd also like to throw in another feature, and that is a Pause Reporting feature. A bunch of us use Waze while we're running errands or going to garage and yard sales. This results in Waze reporting slowdowns or traffic when there really aren't any. Now we have to use Shut Down each time we stop, which is quick, but then we have to start the application back up and that can sometimes take minutes for Waze to reinitialize and update its map.

Otherwise great product. Thanks!
B564377

Re: Re: Re: Re: Abilities you'd like to see

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:59 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:OCD?? I'm sure you are the only with that here!

Shhhhhhh...... That was supposed to be my trump card.
Tantrums & hissy fits doesn't work here, but some OCD sure goes a loooooong way. ;-)

P.s. I still hate tap & hold for my current POI.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu May 10, 2012 4:55 pm

bgodette wrote:Unfortunately no, not with how Waze's routing works so far. It does not appear to take into account *when* you will reach a particular segment or junction, else Waze could avoid that jam that doesn't exist yet when you start your route, but will be there by the time you reach it without a reroute when you get near. AFAIK I've never seen or heard of Waze doing that.

I do get routes that avoid sections of road near the end of my route that do not show as jammed when I get the route. I'm not sure how to determine whether the speed data that waze is using for the end of the route is 1) current real-time data based on recent wazers traversing the segment at the time I request the route, 2) historic speed data for the time when I request the route, 3) historic speed data for the time when waze calculates I will get to the segment, or 4) some intelligent prediction based on the current real-time data and historic patterns. Assuming that 4 is a bit optimistic, how could I tell which of 1-3 is being used?

bgodette wrote:They will eventually need to add support for doing that just to be able to support Time of Day turn restrictions which is a more direct use of "when will I be at junction X".

Well they have the speed data and can use it to calculate routes in the future as the widget shows. Why wouldn't they do this now to make more accurate ETA estimates?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu May 10, 2012 4:14 pm

fvbommel wrote:
bgodette wrote:
gerben wrote:[quote="bgodette"]It has to be 10 minutes or less, else the Andoid widget wouldn't show different ETAs for each 10 minute interval it requests.

Not necessarily... Maybe the widget ask for ETA's for 10 minute intervals.

The widget asks for 10 minute intervals, however if the averages are for a period greater than 10 minutes you'll end up with two or more intervals with the same ETA. Since that doesn't happen, the averages must but at most 10 minutes.

Not necessarily. If you start 10 minutes later you will reach a new time slot "earlier" in your drive (assuming the trip takes long enough).

For example: say your trip takes about 45 minutes. If you start 10 minutes into a 30 minute slot the first 20 minutes will be in slot A and the second 25 will be in slot B.
If on the other hand you start 10 minutes later (20 minutes into the slot), only the first 10 minutes will be in slot A, the next 30 will be in slot B and the last 5 in slot C.[/quote]
Unfortunately no, not with how Waze's routing works so far. It does not appear to take into account *when* you will reach a particular segment or junction, else Waze could avoid that jam that doesn't exist yet when you start your route, but will be there by the time you reach it without a reroute when you get near. AFAIK I've never seen or heard of Waze doing that. They will eventually need to add support for doing that just to be able to support Time of Day turn restrictions which is a more direct use of "when will I be at junction X".

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Re: Abilities you'd like to see

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Kuhlkatz wrote:...
I'm afraid my OCD kicks in if I can not get it spot-on. Sort of like editing maps....

OCD?? I'm sure you are the only with that here!
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:24 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Is your finger 2/3 the screen width? :D You can zoom in enough to select a specific point along a standard city block.

Probably 'slightly' exaggerated, but try and put it exactly on your location if you show your gps marker as well. If it's not spot on, it's not good enough.
I'm afraid my OCD kicks in if I can not get it spot-on. Sort of like editing maps....
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby fvbommel » Wed May 09, 2012 7:09 am

bgodette wrote:
gerben wrote:
bgodette wrote:It has to be 10 minutes or less, else the Andoid widget wouldn't show different ETAs for each 10 minute interval it requests.

The widget asks for 10 minute intervals, however if the averages are for a period greater than 10 minutes you'll end up with two or more intervals with the same ETA. Since that doesn't happen, the averages must but at most 10 minutes.

Not necessarily. If you start 10 minutes later you will reach a new time slot "earlier" in your drive (assuming the trip takes long enough).

For example: say your trip takes about 45 minutes. If you start 10 minutes into a 30 minute slot the first 20 minutes will be in slot A and the second 25 will be in slot B.
If on the other hand you start 10 minutes later (20 minutes into the slot), only the first 10 minutes will be in slot A, the next 30 will be in slot B and the last 5 in slot C.
fvbommel

Postby bgodette » Wed May 09, 2012 1:06 am

gerben wrote:
bgodette wrote:
gerben wrote:Waze uses 30 minute intervals of historical speed data during route calculation.
It has to be 10 minutes or less, else the Andoid widget wouldn't show different ETAs for each 10 minute interval it requests.

bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gerben » Tue May 08, 2012 3:15 pm

bgodette wrote:
gerben wrote:Waze uses 30 minute intervals of historical speed data during route calculation.
It has to be 10 minutes or less, else the Andoid widget wouldn't show different ETAs for each 10 minute interval it requests.

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Desire S met Tapatalk
gerben

Re: Re: Abilities you'd like to see

Postby OldGnome » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:51 pm

sejtam wrote:
Absolutely not. I already have a free app I can use to help find parking. No reason for Waze to develop more features that are already covered elsewhere.

The issue is not the existence if other apps that do that, but integration into waze.

That is the crux of why you and I disagree here. I don't want other features integrated into Waze that can be handled by other applications. When I set out, I always have my parking app lined up and waiting. By the time I am looking for a parking space, I'm not relying on Waze to guide me to my destination.
OldGnome

Next

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests