If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Abilities you'd like to see

Post by
Just thought I'd add some abilities I'd like to see. Add yours in reply as well!
  • Speed limit...This is probably the best gps app to collect this data
  • Planning a trip from browser...Today I've got about 6 stops to make and I'd love to be able to plan it from the browser instead of my phone
  • Travelling salesman problem...Add several addresses and Waze figures out the quickest roundtrip

POSTER_ID:4679492

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I can see why post-reporting may be useful. But it would have to have a limit in terms of distance or time from your current location. Some hazards may be gone 5 minutes later, so reporting it doesn't help other wazers if it is already removed.

In US/Canada, you can report hands free and that is the plan for Android and non-North America too at some point.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
rodsterb wrote:I'd like to see a text version of my route before I start off. Sort of turn by turn navigation so I can scroll through and see if this is the way I want to go or not. I like the feature that shows me in advance that I'm going to the right destination, I would just like to see how it is planning to take me before I start.
Waze's current features do kind of dance around that subject. It shows a graphical preview when you request alternate routes, and it gives you the nav list of the currently selected route, but not a nav list for the alternate/proposed route.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
spamworthy wrote:I'd like to be able to pick a destination off a map, rather than entering the address, and also to add a favourite place with a 'where i am now' button.
You can do this now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
somburan wrote:2. Best gas price/Best food along the way.
On the short term plan.
somburan wrote:3. Check major events at destination or along the way that may impact traffic.
Already part of the system.
somburan wrote:4. Preplan trip with preset preferred ETA. Also notify (email) if anything (traffic jam, events, weather) that may impact ETA.
For the underlined part only, you do get a popup alert, but no email notification when ETA is affected by new traffic conditions. It would be a nice feature to enable 'autosend of ETA change if >x minutes"
somburan wrote:5. Store traffic history on server, and use 5 days traffic pattern (or 3 weekends for Sat/Sun...since weekend traffic may be different than workday traffic) to calculate route/time
Waze stores historical traffic data in 10 minute intervals by day.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xteejx wrote:4? What popup alert?
Lol. Sorry. I modified my answer for clarity.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xteejx wrote:Didn't think so. I must have read it wrong, or Alan is purposely trying to confuse me. :-)
Per what I wrote, I was only responding to the underlined part which mentions the ability to notify on ETA change. When driving and the ETA changes due to updated traffic conditions, you do get a popup notification.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
somburan wrote:Thank you for your prompt answer and sorry I didn't make it clear. I mean an email alert even before I take off so that I know I may need to depart earlier than schedule to cope with the traffic. :-)
I realize now how I took part of what you wrote and totally changed it with my answer, and also confused some readers. :)

The Android is the only one which currently has the feature which allows you to see travel time based on time of day using a graph. There are future plans to integrate Waze into calendar/reminders of smartphones to alert you when you should leave in order to arrive at your destination by your specified arrival time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
tweissin wrote:One thing that irks me every time I hear it is the incorrect grammar when it says

"drive safe"

I always follow up with "ly" in my head or out loud. It should be a simple fix... Just rerecord it.
Waze uses spoken-English phrases which are not technically dramatically correct, but are "normal" and in common use. "Take a right" instead of "turn right" is also used.

This shortening of "safely" and using "safe" as an adverb is exactly like saying "drive fast," "travel light," "run deep," "fall short," or "aim high" to name just a few phrases which are completely accepted, yet not completely dramatically correct. ("Feel bad" is correct but not "feel badly.")

I say we just not worry about it, and if Waze wants to re-record it or change the TTS phrase, they can.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xteejx wrote:Editors, and especially AMs should not be editing without posting. The wiki isn't complete or infallible.
I don't agree. I've see awesome editing done by people who have 1 or 2 posts. They visit but don't necessarily post. Post count is not indicative of a connected community member.

Some remain non-contactable because they never provide a valid email address. I've always been, and often requested, that Waze require email validation. Something as simple as the "click this link to complete the registration process" could help with a number of the people who register with fake emails. After a week without verifying, delete the account/mark it as invalid and make them register a new name.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gordonski wrote:What if Waze sent emails or PMs to AMs when a UR is submitted in their managed areas?
Many of us would be very happy to have the RSS feeds working again.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message