Abilities you'd like to see

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Abilities you'd like to see

Postby OldGnome » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:47 am

I love that I can easily grab a contact (iPhone 4S, iOS6) for use as a destination. However, I would like the contact/destination name to display throughout the selection and navigation process.
OldGnome

Postby Kuhlkatz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 am

Not abilities I'd like to see, but abilities I'd like to see DISAPPEAR from the client are the 'Pave' and 'Camera' functions.

With the ability to pave roads directly from the WME client, I think the client pave ability has now outlived it's useful purpose and is just an annoyance to serious editors in general.
It seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry and possibly one or two others, are driving around with this 'feature' on full-time.

100's of cameras appear bunched on top of one another in places where speed traps frequently occur. There are even cameras in the middle of high density housing areas where walking fast is virtually impossible, let alone driving.
There are no intersections within 100 sea miles where most red-light cameras are plonked down, so either they do not physically exist or the Town Planning councils or the Traffic Departments are wasting plenty of my tax money on erecting the so-called cameras there.

If adding cameras is moved to WME where it belongs, there would be no need to confirm anything and no need to delete tons more. Users can log new cameras they want added as a normal UR.

I'd guesstimate that about 5-10% of my edit points are from deleting tons of useless red patches in the middle of nowhere, and 100's of cameras I know for a fact cannot logically exist in that location, whether I know the area or not.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby harling » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 am

Kuhlkatz wrote:With the ability to pave roads directly from the WME client, I think the client pave ability has now outlived it's useful purpose and is just an annoyance to serious editors in general...

With new construction, where overhead imagery is not available yet, the "pave" option may be the quickest way to get new roads in roughly the right location. A shopping plaza went up in my area, and I was able to add the access and perimeter roads to the map long before the aerials were updated.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby CBenson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:45 am

harling wrote:With new construction, where overhead imagery is not available yet, the "pave" option may be the quickest way to get new roads in roughly the right location.
I still find using my drives and the GPS layer easier that paving. But I also haven't been seen nearly as many issues with paved roads on the map around here. So I don't mind it staying for those who do use it.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 pm

There are and always will be areas, driven only by wazers, who do not edit the map. The Paving is worth its existence.
Cameras might well be transformed into URs.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (OP-X March-me-Low).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kuhlkatz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:41 pm

I have minimally paved roads using the pave function, and are reluctant to turn it on to test, but can someone in the know confirm if the option is switched off when the client is switched off, or does it persist across sessions?
If it is that useful to some, I'd at least expect it not to persist after exiting the app.

It's just a waste of time from my perspective to constantly have to clean up other peoples crap when it does not contribute positively to areas we manage.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:28 am

Paving should be used very sparingly, and you should turn the option off the minute you get back onto a mapped road. Reason being, if you don't it can cause duplicates and overlapping roads on the map. I don't believe it persists across sessions, no, but I don't think leaving it on anyway is a good idea because of the clutter as above. Shame it didn't work it out and switch itself off though...

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Abilities you'd like to see

Postby fvwazing » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Yup, a "Park & Switch off" function makes more sense than a "Mute" that invites to keep Waze on (and silent) while you do your shopping.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kingspadeshan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm

When I had my blackberry there was an app called Blackberry traffic that I used all the time. the main thing i liked about it is after i select the destination i was traveling to I could send a text to whomever I wanted to let them know "i'm on my way home, eta 35 minutes" or something like that. I thought this was a great feature. That way if for some reason i am not at my destination in that time frame then my wife or whomever i notify could text or call me to see if I was ok. There were other features i liked about the app. i suggest getting a few ideas from it.
kingspadeshan

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:43 pm

Have you updated to 3.5?? This feature is already in waze under the meet up button. You can share your drive.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

PreviousNext

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests