Abilities you'd like to see

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Abilities you'd like to see

Postby ssabre » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:50 am

Some ideas, hope to be clear:
1. To add some landmark types like residential building.
2. Create an "Status" on road already in the map in order to show temporal closing (construction).
3. In iPad app, because of the size of screen, include shortcut bottoms to make "one-touch" reports. This is more than convenient, safe for drivers.
4. Improve Facebook login. Once you authorize connection, do auto login without pass again through Facebook site.
5. Create a new type of camera report like "Police Mobile Radar Spot". These are, like accidents, useful but temporal. Maps are stuffed with fake camera reports.
6. Do not permit to submit "General error report" without addition description.
7. Create an "Add current location" option to record personal destinations in the navigation menu.
8. automatic Power off option to avoid battery draining when location does not change during x minutes.
9. On Editor and navigation maps, add a property that mark a segment (A or B) as Dead End road, instead of using the tricky workaround of editing manual.
10.While you are stopped, user reports start to blink in the screen.. Why do not use "tails" or callouts for popup messages to indicate the exact place in the map of the highlighted one?
ssabre

Postby sticks221 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:42 am

mercedesE63 wrote:Also I'd like to see a button for a quick flip to a panned back version of the map oriented N to S that has highways/streets color coded according to their flow/traffic level. Kind of like you have now, but it's so zoomed in and it's hard to zoom out and maintain orientation while driving. It helps me to make decisions earlier whether or not to take certain routes.

Have a look at this suggestion on uservoice - http://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223- ... bar-to-map

I think it's a brilliant idea and could solve your problem - it would definitely be a massive plus for my commute! :D

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Isn't that the entire point of Waze's automated traffic avoidance based on segment traffic based on current conditions and historical data?

Trouble is that if conditions change whilst driving, the impact isn't always clear from the popups so the driver will often miss the decision to reroute - this bar would make blatantly clear the conditions ahead at any point, regardless of when they change.
iPhone 4 • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
Area Manager for Gravesham & Swale (Kent,UK)
sticks221

Postby SuperHeats » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Not sure if has been brought up or not. I just started using this app and don't like the fact that I can't use my own speech synthesis engine. I prefer a female voice and the speech engine built into the app sounds too robotic. It resembles Pico that came pre-installed on my phone.
SuperHeats

Postby Supernovareborn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:54 pm

A couple of thoughts:

1. A "landmark" that shows up in the map editor, but not in the client and has it's own layer. To leave notes to other editors or reminders to ourselves.

2. A way to indicate that a road is divided (a barrier, etc.) to the routing without having to draw in every driveway (I'm not talking about the black lines from the old editor. this should be a road property not something visible without a addon-script). There are tons of roads that don't meet the criteria for division, but behave as divided highways in a routing sense (If GPS point A is on the right side of the road, the routing engine should be sure to route in from the right).

3. **already been beaten to death, but... U-turn control at junctions. Have it be the same as a the toll option (check box, option to avoid), assign some penalty in routing. Seems doable from a layman's perspective(I'm no programmer and getting my computer to say "hello world" is probably outta my grasp, so this may be way more complex that I can even imagine).

My 2 cents.
Framingham, Natick, Sudbury and surrounding areas
Supernovareborn

Postby tasel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:53 am

It is kinda of annoying, that Waze doesn't auto-stop reporting, or have a "run but don't report" feature. I understand that it might hurt if a lot of people started using it all the time, but for those that bike, are checking the traffic before they get off the train, or even as simple as checking the traffic at home before heading out, it just messes up the traffic for everyone else.

I was checking something on in Waze when I got home, and it alerted me that traffic was at a standstill on my road. My road is only a 1/8 of a mile but since I got home and parked, and there was another Waze user on the map, also (I assume) at home and parked, it reported a traffic of 0 miles an hour... on a road where I can see both ends of the street. I'm assuming when I arrive at my work, or a restaurant or something similar, it's doing the same thing, unless I make a point of telling Waze to turn off. Which, I have to admit being new to the Waze system, is not something that's ingrained into my pattern yet. This means every time I arrive at a destination (some I've told Waze I'm heading to, others i just stop at), it's reporting that the road i'm on has just come to a complete standstill. Not good.

I often use Waze now to check on traffic conditions or just see the different settings (just figured out I can do 3d instead of 2D, hey I've only been using it a week!)... so perhaps I'm missing something, but from this thread it appears that this feature might be a rather large whole in the auto-crowd sourcing nature of the app. If I'm wrong and there's some auto feature built in that I'm missing, I'd like to be told. I've tried to do my research before posting, but hadn't found anything that allows me to activate/use Waze without it reporting back.
tasel

Postby thumpersfoot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:01 am

I would like to be able to edit other peoples notifications. Sometimes people post that there are police officers or accidents but when I drive though they are cleared. It would be nice to delete them.

Also it would be nice to map out your own routes.
thumpersfoot

Postby tibble » Mon May 21, 2012 12:44 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
tweissin wrote:One thing that irks me every time I hear it is the incorrect grammar when it says

"drive safe"

I always follow up with "ly" in my head or out loud. It should be a simple fix... Just rerecord it.

Waze uses spoken-English phrases which are not technically dramatically correct, but are "normal" and in common use. "Take a right" instead of "turn right" is also used.

This shortening of "safely" and using "safe" as an adverb is exactly like saying "drive fast," "travel light," "run deep," "fall short," or "aim high" to name just a few phrases which are completely accepted, yet not completely dramatically correct. ("Feel bad" is correct but not "feel badly.")

I say we just not worry about it, and if Waze wants to re-record it or change the TTS phrase, they can.

The one that reaaaaally bugs me is "In half a mile, get ready to turn right", i'm turning in a half a mile, if i wait until then to get ready i'll miss the turn. It should be "In half a mile, turn right" or "Get ready to turn right in a half a mile"
Area Manager: South Eastern PA, USA
Waze Beta 3.7.2.993 - iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4
tibble

Postby toggeli » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:50 pm

I'd like to see
- POIs as in other GPS-apps (show on map, import, export, custom POI's etc)
- map color scheme customization

Thomas
toggeli

Postby twarnick » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:29 pm

For Safer Driving
I'd like to see:

When you are driving at freeway speeds in putting a roadway report is not convenient or safe. If there is a hazard in the roadway, your attention needs to be on avoiding that object, not grabbing the phone to report it.

So it Would be Great to be able to go back along your route after you are stopped or at your destination
& find place on route & in put report by Selecting (with a finger tap or something) place on map where "xyz" happened.
- Whether it be road construction or blockage of some sort in roadway -- to alert others to plan for detour. Or whatever the need may be for that particular situation.
- To select place on map WithOut the Need of having GPS on / location services available.
twarnick

Postby tweissin » Sat May 19, 2012 3:26 am

One thing that irks me every time I hear it is the incorrect grammar when it says

"drive safe"

I always follow up with "ly" in my head or out loud. It should be a simple fix... Just rerecord it.
tweissin

PreviousNext

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests