If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Get GPS data on iPad from linked (via WiFi) iPhone

Post by GBukalders
Could you please add GPS location retrieval on iPad (without 3G or 4G) from the linked iPhone? That way I could use WiFi-only iPad in my car and have precise location on the Waze map. Original Maps app can retrieve this info.
GBukalders

POSTER_ID:2592629

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Can't an external GPS unit be attached to the iPad?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Daknife
Don't you mean get map data? The GPS data should be coming from the iPad's built in GPS antenna, not via any cell network data stream. If you have problems with the GPS receiver in the iPad there are Bluetooth external GPS receivers you can get. (Note: You can use cell tower location as a replacement for GPS but it's not as accurate and can cause the app to crash if there is any difficulty handing off between towers.)

Getting (and sending map, route and travel data) would be what needs to go through the iPhone via it's wi-fi hotspot feature.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
If you say so but that makes no sense technology wise. I don't have an iPad, just an iPod but even that get's it's GPS data from it's internal antenna regardless of wi-fi connection, as does my android phone and tablet. (Caveat, my model android phone the Galaxy S has a weak antenna so I do have a bluetooth external GPS, as the internal loses signal too easily inside a vehicle.)

Okay, mea culpa, I just went and read up on the specs for the iPads and the wi-fi ones indeed do not have a built in GPS chip. (unlike my low-end Vizio Android tablet). In which case I'd recommend the external bluetooth receiver.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by GBukalders
I linked my iPhone 4 as a hotspot to iPad 3 running Waze, but Waze map didn't update when I left my home. Original Maps application gets GPS data from iPhone, it would be good if Waze also could get them…
GBukalders
Send a message

Post by gordonski
GBukalders wrote:Could you please add GPS location retrieval on iPad (without 3G or 4G) from the linked iPhone? That way I could use WiFi-only iPad in my car and have precise location on the Waze map. Original Maps app can retrieve this info.
I think you can run a personal hotspot on your iPhone, connect your iPad to that Hotspot and the iPad will receive GPS data from the iPhone. I don't know whether this is as accurate as using a built-in GPS receiver.
Just give it a try. I don't think that Waze can add new features to the Apple hardware, that must be done in Cupertino, CA.

Gordonski
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by robin1979
The iPhone
gordonski wrote:
GBukalders wrote:Could you please add GPS location retrieval on iPad (without 3G or 4G) from the linked iPhone? That way I could use WiFi-only iPad in my car and have precise location on the Waze map. Original Maps app can retrieve this info.
I think you can run a personal hotspot on your iPhone, connect your iPad to that Hotspot and the iPad will receive GPS data from the iPhone. I don't know whether this is as accurate as using a built-in GPS receiver.
Just give it a try. I don't think that Waze can add new features to the Apple hardware, that must be done in Cupertino, CA.
This is correct. But the location is only sent once a minute. Also, when there's no other GPS-using app currently running on the iPhone, only an approximation of the current location is sent.
It's really not usable for navigational purposes (you'll have to get an iPad cellular/3G for that, which have integrated GPS chips, or an external receiver).
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe