If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Manage unlock request

Post by redvivi
Hi !

Obviously, unlock feature is essential to prevent someone from (mis)editing a road.

However, it *could* represents an obstacle for map improvement :evil: .

Is it really necessary to lock a road for several years ? How many users gave up an editing attempt without asking an unlock request on this forum :? ?

I think the editor should have a "unlock request" button and field.
:arrow: This way, the locker will be aware that someone submitted a request (optionally along with the reason) and accept/deny it.

We could also implement a timeout: an unlock request could be automatically accepted after several days or weeks.

Regards,
redvivi
redvivi

POSTER_ID:7391401

Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Agreed. Am hoping that by this time next year it'll be as fast as one or two days. I said that last year though :-P

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by flyinriz
Unlocks don't have to be completed by the locker. There are a few very active users who have the ability to unlock anywhere in the US and some for the world too.

You could also apply to be an Area Manager for your area if you run into a lot. Obviously not everyone wants to be an AM.

via Tapatalk
flyinriz
Send a message
-Aaron (FlyinRiz)
AM - Northeast Ohio
Moto Bionic (2.3.4) / Waze v3.2.2.2
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by flyinriz
On a side note, I felt the same way when I first started editing but everyone was extremely helpful and was able to point out a couple things that weren't the best way of fixing. When you're first starting it's probably better to be locked out. If that turns off a few new users, that's unfortunate, but the people that are editing day in and day out are saved the effort of fixing gut reaction edits.

I'm not trying to sound better than anyone because I was there getting mad at the "elitist" editors that would lock all the roads. Now I see it's better for the learning process. :grin:

via Tapatalk
flyinriz
Send a message
-Aaron (FlyinRiz)
AM - Northeast Ohio

Post by flyinriz
This is true but the more traveled the road, the more people that have access to edit and the higher chance it would be screwed up (and affect more people). I don't think anything but busy roads and highways should be locked and never residential areas for the exact reason you gave, but it is better to have some oversight where a large number of people could be affected. This is even more important while we are on a 1-3 week delay on map updates. If and when they get the updates closer to 24 hours, this won't be as critical.

-Aaron

via Tapatalk
flyinriz
Send a message
-Aaron (FlyinRiz)
AM - Northeast Ohio

Post by fvwazing
I am neither dead nor have I moved to other interests, and even if I were: most of the major intersections I locked 2 years ago have not changed a bit since then nor will they change over the coming years. Not sure why a built-in detoriation would do any good.

A formalized unlock-request, per option in the editor, might be a good idea as half the forum is about unlocking these days.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Agree with all of your post, gettingthere - except for the last paragraph. A queing of edits to be approved by a major probably requires so much change that it may be a very very longterm option, and if it works it will put a very high load on a few.

Peer review should not work per individual edit.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by gettingthere
fvwazing wrote:A formalized unlock-request, per option in the editor, might be a good idea as half the forum is about unlocking these days.
Which also shows that the current map security model isn't ideal.

If Waze implements what they were considering per krankyd's post on 2/8/2012, the security model for the Map Editor may get more restrictive and more difficult for new editors than it is currently.

Another factor here is the retirement of Cartouche. In general the security model in Cartouche is less than WME. Wazers that have been processing edits in Cartouche when unable to edit in WME will no longer be able to use the Cartouche security loophole / workaround.

http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ns#p141955

Quote from the linked post by krankyd - Waze employee:

"5. We had this operation with the cartouche (the old editor) - at least partially. It created some overhead for us and for editors. What we're planning for the new permissions system is enabling segments for editing based on your own rank. If there's a highway which is traveled by more than X wazers per day, only a wazer with editing rank X will be able to edit. We assume once you can edit, you are also allowed to edit.
I know AMs today get access to unlimited editing with a very easy finger on the trigger. Again, part of the new permissions system will change that.
"

My interpretation of this:

1. Area Managers won't be able to edit everything in their area, as they can now.
2. The current locking system, in regards to restricting who can edit a segment by rank will likely be retired.
3. The proposed system will prevent edits of roads that have higher utilization. In order to edit these highly traveled roads you will need more editing experience and a higher editing rank.
4. It does not appear that there will be any ability to allow lower ranked editors to edit roads that they don't have permission to edit. So the higher rank editors will have to process the edits on the higher utilization roads.

I don't know if Waze is still planning to implement this scheme. It likely to offer better protection of the map, even from Area Managers. But it surely will cause more frustration and likely will discourage new editors. We need to protect the map but we also need more editors.

I think the idea to rank the road by utilization is good. But I still believe a system that allows some type of peer review would protect the map and not discourage new editors. Lower ranked map editors map edits of higher utilization roads would have to be approved before they go live vs. being flat out rejected with the scheme that Waze has proposed.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
fvwazing wrote:Agree with all of your post, gettingthere - except for the last paragraph. A queing of edits to be approved by a major probably requires so much change that it may be a very very longterm option, and if it works it will put a very high load on a few.

Peer review should not work per individual edit.
Peer meaning peer. Doesn't necessarily need to be someone with a higher editing rank although that is going to have to depend on the different ranks based on utilization the road utilization. Although you have a good point that this doesn't necessarily need to be an approval for a single segment or junction.

If editors are totally blocked for editing a large percentage of the map, the situation is going to be much worse than edits being queued to be reviewed by peers.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jasonh300
aaronr8684 wrote:On a side note, I felt the same way when I first started editing but everyone was extremely helpful and was able to point out a couple things that weren't the best way of fixing. When you're first starting it's probably better to be locked out.
Very good point. I've mentioned in the past that when I respond to an unlock request, I always go back and check the new user's work later to make sure that it was handled properly. If not, then I'll try to steer the user in the right direction via the original post or PM. If I see a particularly enthusiastic new user who I believe is familiar with the Wiki and the forums, I'll encourage them to become an AM.

It's our responsibility as Megawazers to be sure that the stuff we unlock doesn't turn into a big disaster. I hope the other megawazers are doing the same.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message