Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by qmuller
Hi everyone !
First of all, thanks to all developers and designers (and who it may concern) for providing such a great app. You really did great work !

Now to this thread : From my daily usage I know that as soon as I see a speedcam on Waze's map, I check my speed even if the cam is on the opposite side. But as soon as I passed the cam I readapt my speed :-)

The statement with with those average speed sections (monitored by a plate reader when you enter and another one when you leave) is that you are absolutely not allowed to drive faster than allowed, because if you do so, you lose precious points on your driving license. The other statement is that there is no rule how long the sections are.
The last statement is that the french government puts them everywhere ...

So, my biggest wish to Waze would be : The possibility to declare on one point that there is a speed trap on one location (this is not new :-)) Then in a contextual interface, that it's an average speed trap which is linked to another plate reader located in another location. The interface would then wait to get the other location (provided by me).

Then, for other users, once the average-speed-section has been declared in Wazes database, one would be warned like a standard speed trap, but as soon as you enter the section a flashing speed sign (50 / 90 / 110 / 130 for France for example) would display with a tiny info "Maintain your speed for n kms/miles" (With "n" counting to the other plate-reader located at the end of the section)

Hope, this helps, and do not hesitate to contact me if you want me to to some screenshots ... if my request is feasible and some devs want to look into it.

Best,
Quentin
qmuller
Send a message

Post by robin1979
Drive in front of a large truck when passing the cam gates 8-). Works beautiful in the Netherlands (we have a couple of those things).
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by tellytart
I can see both sides here, but really, obeying the speed limit is the job of the driver. The speed cameras locations exist as an aide memoir to the speed limit of the road you're travelling on, but you shouldn't rely on them.

In fact, in some countries it's actually illegal to use a device (radar or GPS) that will alert you to the location of speed cameras.

In France, since January 2012 it is illegal to be warned about the positions of fixed or mobile speed cameras, and if you do use such a device you face a fine of up to €1500. TomTom now use "danger zones" to show you areas where speed cameras are, but not their actual locations.

In Switzerland and Liechtenstein it's plain illegal to use any device to warn you of locations of speed cameras.
tellytart
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I'd have thought that the signs by the road would be sufficient warning for motorists...
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by timbucks
Timbones wrote:I'd have thought that the signs by the road would be sufficient warning for motorists...
No. You forget that sat nav systems absolve the user of all responsibility for their actions. If the sat nav says turn right and the signage says otherwise then it's obvious the real world signage is at fault. [sarcasm]

So you can guess I agree with you

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2
timbucks
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message