Remove the reporting of weather

If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Remove the reporting of weather

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:07 pm

pihentagy wrote:I also would like to report cross-wind. Any progress on that?

I think the current "tornado" and "hurricane" types could be replaced by a more generic "high winds" option.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby amiga6 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 am

There should be conditions reports instead
I'm using Samsung Galaxy SIII Android 4.3 Swedish and the latest Waze version.

amiga6

Postby bigbear3764 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:57 pm

I like the report of weather. I got an alert for fog ahead and thought what are they talking about? Turned the corner and there it was. It is information that got my attention and made me more alert. Isn't that what it is for? I don't see it abused in my area.
AM Chicagoland Area ILL Functional Class Map
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby Borgholio » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am

par129 wrote:I like weather reports and believe there should be more, like:
    Flood
    Black Ice
    Downpour
    Tornado
    Twister
    Windstorm
    Excessively Hot

Can you think of any others?

Tornado? Are you kidding? Why not be able to report hurricanes, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions too? Asteroid impact, perhaps?

I agree with a few previous posters, too much info already. I get bombarded with "car on shoulder ahead" reports where the car is easily so far off to the right that it would only be a danger if I was actually driving on the shoulder. I don't need a play by play weather report along the route. I just need to know about certain weather conditions that make life extremely hazardous. Fog? Sure. Excessive wind? Yeah that can be dangerous, especially in a high profile vehicle. High heat? Umm...that's only a problem if you drive a car with a cruddy cooling system. Black ice? How many people in the southern 1/3 of the country even know what black ice is?

Personally I think we should trim down the kinds of reports available on Waze. We should only have (by default) accident, traffic, and objects on the road. If you want to include weather on the default reporting screen then limit it to the most hazardous kinds such as high wind or dense fog. If we want to start adding every kind of weather known to man, we should be allowed to customize the report screen to show the ones we want...otherwise it can get very cluttered and dangerous to use while we're driving.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby Borgholio » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:12 am

thefoxbox wrote:
par129 wrote:Appears “Weather” is one of those emotional topics (got to love it). My list was just a conversional starter. Daknife – yes, these are the same and are better covered by “High Cross-Wind”. So here is my updated all inclusive prioritize list. What did I miss?
    Dense Fog
    High Cross-Wind
    Downpour, Rain
    Road Flooded
    Snow/Hail
    Black Ice

This would be an amazing set of Weather options.

Necro much?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Remove the reporting of weather

Postby Boschett » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:24 pm

We really don't need to report it's raining. For the most part it is raining long before I get to the point where the report was made. More is not always better.
Boschett

Postby Boschett » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:29 pm

I see a lot of car on shoulder reports too. Most of the time it doesn't effect traffic though, you're right. But the car is an isolated incident. Things like fog or rain are not localized and by the time you get the alert, you already know it's raining and/or foggy so what's the point.
Boschett

Postby Boschett » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Bozwell wrote:People suggest lots of things to add to the in app notifications but they can't all be added otherwise it would become unwieldy with too many options. There are however suggestions that could be added that are much better than weather reports that are useless 99% of the time.

I saw a rain report this morning after it had been raining all night. That's a useless report. Ironically it had actually stopped raining when I saw it too! To find out what the warning was for I had to tap the screen to read the description momentarily taking my eye off the road, and it was for no good reason.

The only weather report I can see being the slightest bit useful is fog.

I totally agree.
Boschett

Postby Bozwell » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:33 pm

This was probably intended more for things like Fog rather than rain but even then it has limited value, particularly when a weather event could be over in a matter of minutes.
Bozwell

Postby Bozwell » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:26 am

People suggest lots of things to add to the in app notifications but they can't all be added otherwise it would become unwieldy with too many options. There are however suggestions that could be added that are much better than weather reports that are useless 99% of the time.

I saw a rain report this morning after it had been raining all night. That's a useless report. Ironically it had actually stopped raining when I saw it too! To find out what the warning was for I had to tap the screen to read the description momentarily taking my eye off the road, and it was for no good reason.

The only weather report I can see being the slightest bit useful is fog.
Bozwell

Next

Return to Website & Community Issues and Requests