Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Different terminology?

Post by Kairiste
This is not urgent, but I might suggest changing some of the terminology in alerts...

For instance, "car on shoulder", perhaps "vehicle on shoulder" as more than half I've pinned have been semi's parked pretty close to the road.

Also "Object in road", perhaps "debris in road"... pinned a blown tire that was spread across three lanes. It was an object, but it was really more than one object.

Lastly, and I didn't know how to pin it so I pinned both - I passed an 18-wheeler with hazard flags on the road, and a police car with flashing lights was behind it. Perhaps a cop alert with "pulled over" or "police activity"?
Kairiste

POSTER_ID:8435045

Send a message

Post by Daknife
Often those officers along side the road helping someone will remain there and turn on their radar gun once the "helpee" has departed. Thus just about anytime a police are on the road they should be considered a ticket threat. As to the Visible, not visible I think the main reason for that is 90% of the time it doesn't matter but the few times they are actually hiding, if we didn't have that notice most people would look around, not see the hiding officer and mark it not there as they zipped by, if other Wazers are lucky they would get tagged by the officer and be able to restore the report while waiting for the officer to write the ticket. If they don't get ticketed then the trap remains with no warning to other Wazers.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Kairiste
TBH I report ANY time I see a police car (aside from simply driving down the road, of course) - regardless of whether they have someone pulled over, are assisting a broken-down vehicle, or are just sitting there. Even if they are gone by the time the next Wazer goes by, it doesn't hurt to have Wazers slow down a little. I know sometimes I hurry to get to my destination and have passed tagged cop areas (most of the time they are gone by the time I go by), and it's a little reminder to chill out a bit :)

I think a general "Police activity" would be a great way to pop a pin down. Kind of covers all the bases.
Kairiste
Send a message

Post by rweinkauf
I agree with this- after returning from a 4-state trip using Waze for the first time I found the situations with semis or wreckers/recovery operations on the side of the road were what I reported, rarely did a car on the shoulder pose an issue. And your point about police is a good one- often I came across others posting "Visible Police" (which Waze reports on Twitter as a visible police "trap") when it was an officer assisting a vehicle, doing paperwork, etc.

I think under the Police category of report Waze could just list Speed Trap or Police Activity. I'm not sure why it's important to know if the speed trap is visible or hidden anyway.

I guess it's a fine line as to whether "object" or "debris" is the best descriptor for a road hazard. I do like the "Pothole" choice since here in Michigan we have car-swallowers that are nice to know about before I'm one of 10 vehicles pulled over with a blown tire and wrecked wheels.
rweinkauf
Send a message

Post by Spil
daknife wrote:... just about anytime a police are on the road they should be considered a ticket threat.
Of course, they're only a threat to those who aren't obeying the traffic laws ;). As a wise man wrote many centuries ago, "The authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right! ... But if you are doing wrong, of course you should be afraid, for they have the power to punish you." 8-)
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png