If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Voice guidance when road name changes

Post by MarkOnTheRoads
I recently traveled down to the airport in DTW coming down from the north.
You go through this intersection;
http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=8&lat ... 9&layers=B

I am coming down on the I-96 and need to continue onwards on the I-275. I had voice guidance on and it didn't give me any instructions. Normally when I don't get instructions when I get to an intersection that means I should stay on the road I am currently on. In this case that would take me off to the east instead of further south. (The guidance line on the map was correct, I just didn't get any voice instructions.)

It is possible to include voice guidance when I am still going basically straight on but on a new road?
MarkOnTheRoads

POSTER_ID:6650

Send a message
Nexus 5X
Murfreesboro, TN

Post by MarkOnTheRoads
I listened for the cue when I drove down yesterday but there was nothing. I will try the suggestion of locking some of those segments and see if it improves the situation.
MarkOnTheRoads
Send a message
Nexus 5X
Murfreesboro, TN

Post by MarkOnTheRoads
If anybody is interested, I got this to work and received an audio cue on my last drive. Here is what I did;

When I zoomed in to the intersection, I realised that the name change from I-96 to the I-275 took place a couple of segments after the roads had already split. So I renamed the stray segments to I-275 and that did it! :D So, the trick seems to be that the name change must take place at the intersection and then you will get the notification.
MarkOnTheRoads
Send a message
Nexus 5X
Murfreesboro, TN

Post by phulish
An audio cue is usually possible... its just not a quick fix. Most times it requires spitting roads or creating ramps to trigger the keep right or left audio.

I'm familiar with that area... when I get back to the computer, I'll see if I can come up with a few suggestions. Mobile web and cartouche do not agree with eachother.
phulish
Send a message

Post by phulish
mlangen wrote: I am coming down on the I-96 and need to continue onwards on the I-275. I had voice guidance on and it didn't give me any instructions. Normally when I don't get instructions when I get to an intersection that means I should stay on the road I am currently on. In this case that would take me off to the east instead of further south.
Just north of the 5-mile road overpass where I-275 and I-96 divide, you should have gotten a "keep right" cue. I'm not sure if you missed it... or if connectivity is an issue... Here are some things that may be creating a problem:
* Freeways, ramps, and one way roads should be "locked". Waze is currently interpreting your unlocked roads to mean that someone could, but has yet to drive in the opposite direction.
* Verify connectivity between segments. "Highlight connectivity" is showing that your segments can be entered and exited from either end, IE bidirectional.
* Consider backing the I-275 and I-96 divide further north so that the roads run parallel a little longer. This will give added time for advanced notification to get into the proper lane if there is traffic.

Take a look at this freeway exchange.
http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?q=lincol ... FFFFFTTTTT
When traveling north on Homestead Expressway, I get a "keep left" as I approach the exit for West O Street to remain on the expressway. I then get a "keep right" when I am being directed to I-80 E, or a "keep left" for I-80 W.

For testing purposes, I have temporarily added an unnamed street in the mix to see if I can get a "keep straight" cue.

Hope this helps.
phulish
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
Perhaps a very distinct warning sound.
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by sketch
zzyzxuk wrote:That might be a bad idea over here in the UK... Even though they are essentially the same road, many London streets change their name every few blocks. I think that's also true in many other European cities.
It happens in the US as well, and I agree that this isn't the best solution. However, I do know what you mean—there are times when an interstate will split, with most lanes going to a different interstate, and maybe two lanes staying on the same interstate. However, if the route has you continuing on the interstate, it will not direct you, instead assuming that you'll stay on the interstate. This isn't optimal in situations like this.

I think that there should be a special dispensation that, when an intersection has one Freeway segment connected to two, routing should always indicate to keep left or right.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by zzyzxuk
mlangen wrote:It is possible to include voice guidance when I am still going basically straight on but on a new road?
That might be a bad idea over here in the UK... Even though they are essentially the same road, many London streets change their name every few blocks. I think that's also true in many other European cities.

zzyzxuk
zzyzxuk
Send a message