If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Attn Staff: PRIVACY BREECH!!

Post by nicboz
I think there is a major problem with the lack of privacy settings. I recently realized that my location is ALWAYS showing, even when I am stopped or parked at my house or a friends house. UNACCEPTABLE!! My house has been rob and my car has been broken into on my street. Tonight I had some random wazer ping me 40 feet from my house. That is when I realized I cannot turn off my location when I am parked or at my discretion. I feel completely unsafe. I really like the application for navigation but I am deleting it until this issue gets resolved because it is completely uncomfortable and unsafe. :? :(

PLEASE FIX THIS!!
nicboz

POSTER_ID:1255580

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
And read the TOS. I can't see how one can complain that a social GPS nav app shows their location. Duh.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by BlazeTool
If you're worried about the privacy of the location of your home simply shut Waze down before you get home. Generally, if you're within a mile of your home you already know about any traffic problems you're going to run into on your way home.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by Daknife
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:And read the TOS. I can't see how one can complain that a social GPS nav app shows their location. Duh.
+1
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by gordonski
Furthermore you should turn off Waze whenever you stop driving to also protect our road data (apart from your privacy). When you are sitting in your house or a friend's house and keep Waze running, you will report your position with speed = 0 mph. This may initiate false traffic alerts and will reduce the average speed which Waze calculates for the road segment in front of the house.

So please protect yourself and others by turning Waze off when you don't use it. (Would you leave your car running when you're not driving?) ;)

Gordonski

PS: Capital or bold letters don't necessarily render an argument true...
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by Spil
Simple solution: when you stop the car, turn off Waze. Your location will no longer be updated once you have done this. In addition, Waze never shows anyone else exactly where you are -- only where you were 3-5 minutes ago (thus, turning off Waze prevents your most recent location from being seen). As an added security measure, your drive data is not recorded for the first and last half-miles or so of your journeys.

For further privacy options, go to the main menu, then "My Waze", then "My Profile". Uncheck the "agree to be pinged" box at the bottom, then go to the "Privacy" menu just above that. Change "Show me as" to "Anonymous", then change all of the other options on that screen (FB & Twitter) to "Don't show".
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png