If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

External Audio Toggle Option

Post by AlexRosenheim
This is a slight variation on the topic I saw regarding integrating iPhone audio controls to eliminate going in and out of the app. It is kind of the opposite idea.

As it is, when voice directions are being spoken, the audio feed for my iPhone reduces in volume so I can hear the directions. This is fine when I am listening to most music, but it for audio books and podcasts, this is very annoying. When the audio reduces for the directions, I can not hear what is being said. That leaves me either missing part of the conversation or book or while driving (or pulled over) rewinding 15 to 30 seconds to hear what I missed. Missing some of a song i already know isn't that bad, but missing a few sentences of a book or, say, 20 seconds of a conversation on a podcast makes it difficult to follow.

Don't get me wrong. The fact that your service is free is not lost on me...I have no problem with periodic ads to support you...so I understand how petty it is to be "annoyed" about something that is free. This is primarily a quality of life issue, but has a practicality. And a safety component.

So, my suggestion is to integrate a toggle option in the audio. Give the user an easy way to select either "Reduce external audio during directions" or "Pause external audio during directions". When I start on a drive and choose to listen to music, I can set it to reduce the external, and when I am listening to an audiobook or podcast or even music that I know I want to hear it all, then I can set it to pause the external audio.

The reason I say this is the opposite of the other discussion is that it was about adding more to do while the program is running. But with this option, it would make the app more tailored to the individual needs/desires of the user while making it more hands-free (and thus safer).

No more lost moments in books and podcasts, no more scrambling to rewind. One more happy wazer. (Just kidding...I'm already a happy wazer...you are my go-to GPS and your service is fantastic.) I just figured that if it is a feature I'd want, it is something others would want.
AlexRosenheim

POSTER_ID:5212306

Send a message

Post by vet3shaws
I second this feature request. For the safety of all of us, some people just won't stop tapping their screen!

One more thing, if Waze could do this automatically, if IOS allows it to know the genre of the audio stream as either podcast or all others. Another way was dependent on the external program.

To tell you the truth, this missing feature was enough to make me miss using BeyondPod on my old Android with Google Navigation flawlessly pausing and auto resuming. But I haven't ditched all hope of Waze getting this essential function.

By the way, IOS 6 doesn't do this ideally either, because it only reduces vOlume. Time to pounce!
vet3shaws
Send a message